none
How can you sort Microsoft Project 2013 tasks by date that are in different subtask sections? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    How can you sort Microsoft Project tasks by date that are in different subtask sections?
    I have 500+ task with a task on line 11, 25, 143, 175 & 400 (different subtask sections) all occurring on the same day.
    The sort option (down arrow in the Start and Finish title bar) only completes a sort within each of the subtask sections.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 7:26 PM

Answers

• Stepnharp,

Go to View > Data group > Sort > Sort by to bring up the Sort window. Then uncheck the "keep outline structure" option near the bottom of the Sort window.

John

• Marked as answer by Stepnharp Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:56 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2018 8:05 PM

All replies

• Stepnharp,

Go to View > Data group > Sort > Sort by to bring up the Sort window. Then uncheck the "keep outline structure" option near the bottom of the Sort window.

John

• Marked as answer by Stepnharp Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:56 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2018 8:05 PM
  • John,

Thank you.  You just saved me about 1,547 future copy and pastes into as separate project file.

Scott

Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Scott,

You're welcome and thanks for you feedback. Wow, that's a very specific savings.

John

Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:19 PM
  • Hey! If you have a main task, with various subtasks occuring at different times, your first subtask will have the main task above it, but all the other subtasks wont have the main task name. 

Example:

Main task A with subtasks occuring at Jan (J), Fev (F) and May (M).

Main task B with subtasks occuring at Mar (Mar), Sep (S) and Oct (O).

If you arrange project like that it will appear:

Main task A

J

F

Main task B

Mar

M

S

O

And it will look like May (M) belongs to main task B, which it doesnt. How to make it so that it would show:

Main task B

Mar

Main task A

M

Main task B

S

O

Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Rafaeljgserra,

Straw! What happened to January and February in your desired sort?

If you want to sort by start date and still keep subtasks under their respective summary lines, just use the default sort option by Start Date, that leaves the outline structure intact.

If that is not your end goal, then please elaborate on exactly what you are trying to do and I'll help you out.

John

Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Ops! It should look like:

Main task A

J

F

Main task B

Mar

Main task A

M

Main task B

S

O

If i sort by date a main task with different subtasks, all the subtasks will appear as soon as the first subtask appears, even if the subtasks appear at a later time.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:05 PM
  • Rafaeljgserra,

Wow, you took a long holiday break.

You can't get the sort format you want with the Sort function but you can do it (slightly modified format) by using Project's grouping feature (View > Data group > Group by).

A mock up of the file structure described in the original post

Now by grouping on the Start field and maintaining the hierarchy

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 5:22 PM
  • Hey John!

Thanks alot, thats exactly what i wanted! Althought, now, ALL the main tasks and Subtasks are showing: 

Task

How do i make it so that project only shows 1.1.1.1 - Task?

Monday, January 27, 2020 11:23 AM
  • Rafaeljgserra,

I don't quite understand. Are you trying to suppress the group summary lines? If so, sorry, no can do.

If you give me a more comprehensive example, instead of just 4 outline numbers, maybe I can figure something out, but it may involve some VBA or even an export to Excel.

John

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 1:33 AM