none
Issue with application in powerbuilder RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application written in powerbuilder. The application is mounted  and starts fast. I can enter my credentials and select login.  In the virtualized app it takes at least 35 seconds before I am logged in. When I use the app traditionally installed it takes only few seconds. I noticed with procmon that the application is trying to open the pbd files and dll's in localappdata and later in the correct folder (under c:\programdata\guid\versionguid\ProgramfilesX86...) There's almost no networktraffic during logon. There are no error messages from the application, it only takes a very long time to log in. Tried to sequence in PVAD mode, but this is still slower. By making the path variable shorter I could already reduce the login time from 80 seconds to 35 seconds, but this is still too slow for the users.

Anyone had similar issues with applications in powerbuilder?

thanks in advance for your help!

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Kris_vl,

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? We have the same experience with our PB app. We also found with ProcMon (systernals) that in an App-V environment our PB app generates 400,000+ calls more than when we deploy the same app in core OS. The majority of calls are where its searching for pb DLLs that have already been found but it still continues searching in other directories, even directories in the core OS. We have tried just about everything including PVAD, short paths, Advance Installer tools and nothing we can find to stop these calls. MS Support has been involved and there is no explanation for this behavior.

We implemented PBUS and disabling it has significantly improved the startup/caching. Are you using PBUS in your app to modernize your icons and tabs?

Friday, July 26, 2019 8:37 PM