none
identifying split ends with VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I know I can use the splitparts function to identify tasks that are split i.e. have multiple gaps of no work with in the task duration. I am looking for a similar function or process to identify tasks that have split ends i.e. periods of no work at either the front or back of the task.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan

Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:16 PM

Answers

• Dan,

You won't find any ready function but you can compare the task start with the start of the first split opart and the task finish with the finish of the last split part.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by dfeigen115 Friday, December 20, 2019 2:54 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:10 PM

All replies

• Dan,

You won't find any ready function but you can compare the task start with the start of the first split opart and the task finish with the finish of the last split part.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by dfeigen115 Friday, December 20, 2019 2:54 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:10 PM
  • Dan,

Like John, I'd look at the splitparts using vba.  If one is desperate to avoid vba, then leading "splits" can be identified using one of the following techniques:

1. For leading splits caused by an actual start with no progress, filter based on a custom flag defined using the following formula:

IIf([Actual Start]=[Stop] And ProjDateDiff([Stop],[Resume])>0,Yes,No)

2. For leading splits caused by resource assignments, apply the Task Usage View, then create and apply a filter with the following criteria :

Assignment Delay is greater than 0d

Or  Leveling Delay is greater than 0ed

I don't know of any way to catch trailing splits other than vba.

Good luck, tom

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Friday, December 20, 2019 12:08 AM grammar
    Friday, December 20, 2019 12:06 AM
  • I thought about using the stop & resume fields, but they were NA until the task had actually started (%Complete >0).
    Friday, December 20, 2019 2:58 PM
  • John, I'd forgotten that you could access the start/finish dates of the individual parts via the splitparts function. I was able to successfully implement the tests using the splitparts start & finish fields.

thanks for the insight.

Dan

Friday, December 20, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Dan,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, December 20, 2019 4:21 PM