DNS will not resolve..... RRS feed

• Question

• Morning everyone;

I have just setup a Server 2008 Standard edition to use in my home network - probably overkill but I need this to work on my MS certifications.  Orignally I intended to use the Hyper-V capability to study Vista and Windows 7 but discovered that you can't get those operating systems fully functional on my server due to lack of video memory and WDDM - best laid plans......  Anyway, I have added Roles for Hyper-V, Active Directory (AD DS) and as part of the AD DS installation it added DNS.  All went well, except it was a bit unhappy that my router will be providing DHCP services rather than using that Role in Server 2008.  

Doing the right thing for security I did change the PW on the router - which I have now forgotten - so I cannot assign a static IP to the 2008 Server unless I reset the router, it doesn't change IP addresses that often so I'm hoping that a static IP is not the issue with my problem - if it is then I will reset the router and begin again.  

Here's my problem - I tried to join a single desktop to my new Domain.  The client thinks for a while, then comes back and tells me that it cannot join because it is unable to resolve the Domain name in DNS.  I can ping the server from the client, NSLOOKUP brings back - :::1 as the DSN server IP address.

IPCONFIG /ALL run on the server indicates that correct Gateway address, IP address of the server but shows the same - :::1 as the DNS IP adderess.  I have  looked over the system pretty well, but I cannot find a place to load the correct IP address for DNS (should be the same as the server because DNS is one of its roles. 

This should be an easy one for someone out there - I'm just a beginner and I'm reading as fast as I can.

Thanks in advance.....

LJ   
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi LJ,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description, It seems that the Client is looking at the router as the local DNS provider. You may need to check the router's DHCP setting whether it's point to Windows server 2008 as its DNS server.

To allow your server and client to access internet through Windows DNS server, you also need to configure the forwarders on the Windows Server 2008’s DNS console. Please follow the steps:

1.     Logon the Windows 2008 Server as an administrator.

2.     Open the DNS console

3.     Right click the domain.com and click properties.

4.     Select Forwarders page.

5.     Add your ISP DNS server address into the list.

After the above steps, you client should have the correct LAN IP address, Default Gateway (router IP address)and DNS server (Windows 2008 server IP address). Please run the ipconfig /renew on the client machine to retrieve the setting from the router. Then run ipconfig /all to verify whether it's correct.

Could you ping the server FQDN name successfully?

Could you use run nslookup to retrieve the Windows 2008 server as DNS server?

Could you add the client into the domain?

If not, please let us know the error message WORD by WORD and paste a copy of your server and client's ipconfig /all for further research.

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, September 7, 2009 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:22 AM

All replies

• Well here are some basic things:

DC
    - you domain controller does not require a static IP, so a DHCP (which doesn't change to often) should work.
    - it should however point to itself for DNS
    - the DNS server on the DC can be configured to forward all other querries than those for the domain towards you internet DNS server. Like this your client can reach the domain AND the internet

Client
    - can ofcourse have a DHCP address
    - should point to your DC for DNS

Basic test which should succeed before being able to join:

Start - Run - CMD on the client:
    ping dc.fqdnofdomain
    ping fqdnofdomain

examples:
    ping domaincontroller1.microsoft.local
    ping microsoft.local

Monday, August 31, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hello

Your router DHCP is undoubtely the problem - if it is issuing a lease both to the server and to the client, I doubt the client is receiving the right DNS server address to begin with. It is probably defining DNS it as the router IP or your ISP's DNS server. Try to manually define on the client as DNS server the server IP you got from server's IPCONFIG. Better still, forget about DHCP and manually set the server IP address with the router as gateway, and do the same to the client, setting the DNS address from thenew server IP.

Regards
    Rui Meleiro
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try as soon as I can.

I messed around last night trying to configure both the AD DS/DNS Server and the client to use the IP address for the AD DS/DNS Server - I finally managed to knock the server completely off-line and had to reset everything back to original settings and then re-start the server in order to get it re-connect to the Internet. 

It appears that I could have another issue - the first "Role" I added to the server was that of Hyper-V, I then loaded a virtual XP and Vista Client system both of which seem to connect through a "Virtual" NIC (Connection) to the Internet.  "My Network Connections" on the Server shows two connections, Ipconfig /all on the server brings up two connections one with a MAC address the other without - both are looking for a DNS address, both are wrong.  When I configured the connections to use the IP address of the AD DS/DNS Server it was knocked off line.  I could no longer "ping" the server from the client - something I was able to do before.

Not sure this is the issue, I spent some time on the client trying to tell it where the DNS Server was/is located bacuse it is also looking at the router as the DNS provider.

More to follow....

LJ
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try as soon as I can.

I messed around last night trying to configure both the AD DS/DNS Server and the client to use the IP address for the AD DS/DNS Server - I finally managed to knock the server completely off-line and had to reset everything back to original settings and then re-start the server in order to get it re-connect to the Internet. 

It appears that I could have another issue - the first "Role" I added to the server was that of Hyper-V, I then loaded a virtual XP and Vista Client system both of which seem to connect through a "Virtual" NIC (Connection) to the Internet.  "My Network Connections" on the Server shows two connections, Ipconfig /all on the server brings up two connections one with a MAC address the other without - both are looking for a DNS address, both are wrong.  When I configured the connections to use the IP address of the AD DS/DNS Server it was knocked off line.  I could no longer "ping" the server from the client - something I was able to do before.

Not sure this is the issue, I spent some time on the client trying to tell it where the DNS Server was/is located bacuse it is also looking at the router as the DNS provider.

More to follow....

LJ
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hi LJ,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description, It seems that the Client is looking at the router as the local DNS provider. You may need to check the router's DHCP setting whether it's point to Windows server 2008 as its DNS server.

To allow your server and client to access internet through Windows DNS server, you also need to configure the forwarders on the Windows Server 2008’s DNS console. Please follow the steps:

1.     Logon the Windows 2008 Server as an administrator.

2.     Open the DNS console

3.     Right click the domain.com and click properties.

4.     Select Forwarders page.

5.     Add your ISP DNS server address into the list.

After the above steps, you client should have the correct LAN IP address, Default Gateway (router IP address)and DNS server (Windows 2008 server IP address). Please run the ipconfig /renew on the client machine to retrieve the setting from the router. Then run ipconfig /all to verify whether it's correct.

Could you ping the server FQDN name successfully?

Could you use run nslookup to retrieve the Windows 2008 server as DNS server?

Could you add the client into the domain?

If not, please let us know the error message WORD by WORD and paste a copy of your server and client's ipconfig /all for further research.

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, September 7, 2009 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Hi,I am using this site's DNS service for my website publishing ,you too also tr this site for solve your problem,this http://www.tucktail.com/  site provide various services and informations ,visit this site for more details.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:33 AM