none
DaRT10 Image Creation Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've been pulling my hair out trying to create a bootable DaRT10 USB stick. I've scoured the internet and tried some suggestions but nothing seems to work for me. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows ADK, I've tried deselecting Disk Commander and File Restore, but every time I get the same error:

"The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" 
    or common parameter is set to Stop : Error applying Dart Tools to the image mounted 
    to: 'C:\Users\tmead\AppData\Local\Temp\DaRT_Mount_2015.11.26.09.55.09'. Package is 
    not applicable: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-FMAPI.cab'."

The Image Creation fails and all files are cleaned up leaving me with nothing. Does Microsoft or anyone else have any idea what's going on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by Timmythekid Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:49 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:23 PM

Answers

• Nevermind, I figured it out. Just in case anyone else got stuck on this, make sure you download the Windows 10 disc image from Microsoft's website and mount it as a virtual drive. I tried using a Windows 10 bootable USB drive as my install media and it failed every time. Also, the Windows 7 DVD USB download tool is a piece of crap. Use Rufus instead.
    • Marked as answer by Timmythekid Monday, February 19, 2018 4:38 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 4:38 PM

All replies

• Can someone from Microsoft please respond to this? This seems to be a widespread problem and, as DaRT10 is supposed to be part of my MSDN subscription, I shouldn't have an issue getting it to work.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 1:10 PM
  • Nevermind, I figured it out. Just in case anyone else got stuck on this, make sure you download the Windows 10 disc image from Microsoft's website and mount it as a virtual drive. I tried using a Windows 10 bootable USB drive as my install media and it failed every time. Also, the Windows 7 DVD USB download tool is a piece of crap. Use Rufus instead.
    • Marked as answer by Timmythekid Monday, February 19, 2018 4:38 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 4:38 PM
  • Yes, sadly it only seems to work with the afore mentioned Windows 10 image downloaded from the site. I tried another ISO for Windows 10 that I had, and it failed too.... So it must be the downloaded ISO, mounted local.
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:35 PM
  • It's probably worth saying here that it looks like the feature version of the ADK needs to match the feature version of the iso image used as well.  There may be some mismatched versions that work but I can say with certainty that the 1709 ADK and the 1803 iso will not work.  I uninstalled the 1709 ADK and installed the 1803 ADK (left DaRT installed the whole time) and then when I tried it, the DaRT recovery image was created without a hitch.

ADK's are here (until MS breaks the link by moving it because you just know they will): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install#adkwin10

• Edited by MnM Show Friday, March 22, 2019 3:26 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2019 3:25 PM