Upgrade without Windows Store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Let's say someone has a Windows 8 computer with a 1280×720 screen. Naturally, this device cannot run Windows Store or any other Metro-style app. How can he or she upgrade to Windows 8.1?

Thanks in advance

The greatest moment of everyone's life is the moment of positive thinking.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• The Windows Store will be the only source for the standalone Windows 8.1 Update when it becomes available on October 18th.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Let's say someone has a Windows 8 computer with a 1280×720 screen. Naturally, this device cannot run Windows Store or any other Metro-style app. How can he or she upgrade to Windows 8.1?

Attach a bigger monitor?   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, October 6, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Get the ISO from MSDN/Technet, mount it, run setup.exe and select "Upgrade".

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, October 6, 2013 6:23 AM
  •  

--> Everything you need to know about your Windows 8.1 upgrade options

Carey Frisch

Thanks for that insightful article Carey.  It explains that it is OK for anyone with a Windows license to use Upgrade media to clean install onto a blank hard drive.

I hope you'll share that knowledge with your fellow moderators here.  Maybe you'll consider revisiting some previous threads and correcting them?  (like here and here).

(here too.  I see that abusive on A.Z. was removed.  that's a start.)

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:08 AM
  • So, basically, I should either buy a new monitor, buy a retail Windows 8.1 package or an MSDN subscription? Wow! That's one expensive free upgrade.

I wish there was a way to upgrade via Windows Update service.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:23 AM
  • How about standard service pack deployment vectors? Is it not available for, say, Active Directory-based or System Center-based deployment?

This would be the first service pack not to be available via Download Center or Windows Update service.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:30 AM