none
Tasks, resources and time frame in MSP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can you help me please! Trying to set up project tasks in MSP. 

I have a task that will take 10 hours to complete but needs to be completed by 1 resource over a 3 week window. They will start task 1 Feb (as there is a dependency) and it needs to be complete by 21 Feb. The resource is allocated 50% to the project and works a standard 40hour week. How can i do this?

I have dozens of tasks like and ultimately i want to be able to check task loading against resource availability and just cannot figure it out... surely this can be done?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:25 PM

All replies

• Forgot to say... resource will have several other tasks overlapping and throughout this time

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:36 PM
  • Lolly1982,

Here is one way to set it up. First, you indicate the resource is allocated 50% to the project. I assume that means he/she has 4 hr/day to work on various tasks on the project, so the Resource Sheet should show a Max Unit of 50%.

Next, the task in question needs to be done over a three week period but the estimated work content is only 10 hours. For this I would set up a fixed duration task with a work content of 10 hr and and duration of 3 wks. You can assign the resource at 100%, Project will limit the work availability hours based on the max units. Initially Project will linearly spread the 10 hours over the full three weeks but you can manually edit the values to suit your needs. This is how it will look.

The Remaining Availability shows how many hours each day the resource can work on other tasks in the Project, again based on the resource's max unit value of 50%.

Hope this helps.

John
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:42 PM