Can't get User Experience Virtualization (UE-V) to sync at all RRS feed

• Question

• I'm evaluating UE-V and have all of the default templates enabled, and I also created one of my own using the generator that is simply supposed to copy an ini file for a VoIP application.  I installed UE-V on two computers, and ran the powershell commands to ensure that UE-V was turned on and the correct templates were loaded on both computers.  I also have a GPO set up to control the settings.  The computers are always connected and I have offline files turned off in my enviornment, so I configured UE-V with "none" for syncmethod as described in the Admin Guide.  The settings share is a subfolder of the user's home directory and UE-V seems to be writing settings to the folder since it has populated it with some pkgx files. 

The problem is that none of the settings are synced between the computers no matter how many times I log-off and restart on each of them.  The UE-V event log doesn't show any errors.  The file needed by the VoIP app is not copied, and I even tried to change the theme and test the built-in templates but the theme doesn't roam either. I can't find any indication of what could be going wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

Get started by accessing the Charms menu, clicking “Settings” and then choosing “Change PC Settings”.  This brings up a modern version of the Control Panel and from here you can customize much of Windows. the left column choose the “Sync your settings” option.  Here you will find individual settings for almost every imaginable setting on your computer.  You can sync all settings or choose idivdual things to sync or not sync.  By default, Microsoft enables all of these settings.

Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:34 AM
  • We are using Windows 7 and have no plans to move to Windows 8.  As stated in my original question, we are going to be using UE-V with offline files disabled, it is my understanding "Sync Settings" is to configure offline files.  UE-V with offline files disabled is configured using UEV registered UEV templates and the UEV agent.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please run the following command from an elevated command prompt?

sc config cscservice start=auto

Thanks for your time.

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:49 AM
  • As stated in my previous two posts, we are not using nor will we be using offline files.  Offline files are disabled by group policy in our environment.  That command enables offline files. 
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Can you list what settings you have enabled in your UE-V Group policy and whether you have them enabled for user or computer (or even both) I've been testing throughout the beta phase and the whole thing has just worked in my environment.

AD, W7, AD specified home directory, GPO for configurations and SCCM for agent deployment.

I'm happy to try and help.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please provide the information mentioned by Philaitman? Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:11 AM
  • You should be able to sync without Offline Files. My guess it could be one of the following:

Is this the only custom template experiencing this issue?

1.) Permissions - maybe the agent service has permission but the user does not or vice-versa.

2.) Template issue: Perhaps a Version mismatch, or the particular settings were not captured in the template?

3.) After verifying the template is registered with the "Get-UEVTemplate <TEMPLATE>" cmdlet (to verify it is enabled, see if the right EXE is being hooked. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\UEV\Agent\Processes and see if the EXE for the template is registered. (Does it match up with the application shortcut EXE?)

4.) Does it use files with extensions that may show up under ExcludedFileTypes under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\UEV\Agent\Configuration

If we are still having issues, it might be worth looking at further log detail:

1. Log on to the computer as a member of the local administrators group.
    2. Launch Event Viewer.
    3. Select View\Show Analytic and Debug Logs.
    4. Navigate to Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Service Logs\Microsoft\User Experience Virtualization\App Agent.
    5. Right-click on Debug under App Agent and select Enable Log.
    6. Select OK when presented with the "Analytic and Debug logs may lose events when they are enabled. Do you want to enable this log?" dialog.
    7. Reproduce your issue.
    8. Right click Debug and select Refresh.
    9. Right click Debug and select Disable Log.

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi Steve,

After reading your post, I realized that I don't know anything about how UE-V works. I'm hoping you can help me clear some things.

I'm installing the agent with a batch file. Here is the copy of my batch file.(Just testing at the moment before we deploy it)

AgentSetup.exe /silent SettingsStoragePath="\\servername\data\public\%%username%%" SettingsTemplateCatalogPath="C:\Users\username\Desktop\uevtemplates"

So if I run this script on both computers, all the MS templates works fine. (Office, calculator, wordpad, etc.) But if I add a custom template, it doesn't work. Just like the OP of this post, I'm trying to get the pinned taskbar items to transfer too. But it does not transfer. If i go in to the registry and enable the "DesktopSettings" under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\UEV\Agent\Configuration\Windows Settings

Then it captures the settings of the taskbar (toolbars etc).

From another post I read someone was having the same problem and he mentioned that the pinned items has the .lnk extension and he removed it from the "ExcludedFileTypes". I actually tried that and removed everything that was in there. Still no luck. Besides that I tried other custom templates. Either downloaded from the technet website or trying to create myself, it doesn't work. I put the templates I created or downloaded in the "SettingsTemplateCatalogPath".

Can you give me some advices on what I am doing wrong?

Best,

-Fatih

Carsi

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:39 PM
  • hi Carsi,

We've created a great doc on how to manage templates via PoSH and WMI. You should check it out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679987.aspx

In general templates are pulled down once per day via a scheduled task. This will make the templates in sync. You can also manage templates via Config Manager or Group Policy. We provide a DCM and ADMX template to make this easier.

Finally, today UE-V doesn't support pinned items and lnks. 

thanks!

Aaron Ruckman

UE-V Program Manager

Visual Studio Program Manager (Setup) Microsoft Corporation

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Hello,

First you want to establish if the required file was captured.

To make sure a file gets captured, consider these conditions:

- The file is Located in the user area, such as Appdata\Roaming or Appdata\Local

- The file is Set to be included in the UEV-Template, and the UEV-Template should be registered already.

- The UevAgentService should be up and running.

- The file should be Modified by the executable which you are monitoring before you exit the application.

- It's recommendable to close the application before you click logoff.

If you see a bunch of files but you are not sure if the file you want is captured, here's what you could do:

Your file should be stored as a .PKGDAT file with a GUID as the filename.

The original filename and path is stored inside the .PKGX file with a reference to that PKGDAT file.

You can use the powershell command Export-UevPackage to read the content of the .PKGX and find that reference.

Once you have identified which .PKGDAT is supposedly the file you were looking for, you can rename that .PKGDAT back to its original filename, and open it as you normally would.

Note: Some filetypes are excluded from being captured because they are considered dangerous, this includes .lnk

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:53 PM