none
Configuring RDS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi support,

I have a Windows 2019 server standard and set up a Hyperv VM for RDS in it.  I have purchased 5 user cals RDS licenses.  I have installed them and activated them.  The only issue is that I keep on getting the Remote Desktop licensing mode is not configured.  I am unable to get rid of this alert.  I have gone to Group Policy and Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Licensing.

and enabled the two policies.  Still I am having the same issue.  I have reinstalled the licenses. 

I ran couple of powershell command from one of the suggestions now I am getting a connection to the UK server. (highlighted in yellow)

Please advise.

Thanks for your help.

Jamshid

Saturday, April 20, 2019 12:48 AM

All replies

•  orgot to add the pictures.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 12:57 AM
  • hi,

1 which os version of per user rds cal did you purchase? is it server 2019 per user rds cal or server 2016 per user rds cal ?
    2 what's os version of your RD Licensing server and RD session host server ?(we can enter winver in command prompt and look the os version)
    3 what detail information do you set below loal group policy on your session host server ?(Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers - Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode ,after setting it ,you need to reboot your session host servers).
    Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing
    Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers     Enabled    enter rd license server hostname or ip address
    Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode                 Enabled    per user
     3.1 can you check if there is confilict between domain policy and local policy for above two policy item for RDSH servers ?
         (enter gpresult /h rdsh.html in command prompt on RDSH server)
    4" I am getting a connection to the UK server. (highlighted in yellow)"
     is this RDLS server of UK server  your expect RDLS server ? if it is not do you set the correct local policy to poit RDSH to correct RDLS server?
    5 if it is possible turn off the firewall and 
    defend software on both RDSH server and problematical RDLS server temporarily then check the result.
    6 check if there is network problem between RDSH server and RDLS server ?(port permission or ping or tracert command etc)
    Service overview and network port requirements for Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/832017/service-overview-and-network-port-requirements-for-windows
    RDS 2012: Which ports are used during deployment?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16164.rds-2012-which-ports-are-used-during-deployment.aspx

"I have reinstalled the licenses."
    7 do you mean you reinstall RDLS server ?

8 other case link for your reference 
    Remote Desktop Server Still shows Grace period after activating per user license

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/959660ca-f468-45f3-a9bf-f1d9b39a977c/remote-desktop-server-still-shows-grace-period-after-activating-per-user-license?forum=winserverTS

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 3:38 AM
  • Hello Jamshid,

When you specify the licensing server with:

$obj.SetSpecifiedLicenseServerList

You need to enter your own host and not rdslic2016.woshub.com because I doubt you own that.

Run 'Get-RDLicenseConfiguration' to see what license server has been set to verify the above.

And do this to correct it:

$obj = gwmi -namespace "Root/CIMV2/TerminalServices" Win32_TerminalServiceSetting
    $obj.GetSpecifiedLicenseServerList(yourserver-here.local.com.anything)

You can read more on this setting here SetSpecifiedLicenseServerList method of the Win32_TerminalServiceSetting class - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 6:30 AM
  • Thank you Mariette, You are the BEST. 

I appreciate everyone's help.

All good.

Thanks,

Jamshid

Monday, April 22, 2019 4:25 PM
  • Thanks for your reply .I am glad to hear that your issue is solved.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:40 AM
  • Hi All,

I thought the issue was solved but I am still getting the alerts.  here is picture of what licensing diagnose is showing.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:42 PM
  • 1 which os version of per user rds cal did you purchase? is it server 2019 per user rds cal or server 2016 per user rds cal ? SERVER 2019 STANDARD, 1 HYPER -v VM SERVER FOR RDS- RDS IS 2019 LICENSES.
    2 what's os version of your RD Licensing server and RD session host server ?(we can enter winver in command prompt and look the os version) VERSION 1809 OS BUILD 17763.437
    3 what detail information do you set below loal group policy on your session host server ?(Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers - Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode ,after setting it ,you need to reboot your session host servers). SERVER WAS REBOOTED
    Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing
    Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers     Enabled    enter rd license server hostname or ip address
    Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode                 Enabled    per user
     3.1 can you check if there is confilict between domain policy and local policy for above two policy item for RDSH servers

(enter gpresult /h rdsh.html in command prompt on RDSH server)

4" I am getting a connection to the UK server. (highlighted in yellow)"
     is this RDLS server of UK server  your expect RDLS server ? if it is not do you set the correct local policy to poit RDSH to correct RDLS server?I RESOLVED THAT
    5 if it is possible turn off the firewall and 
    defend software on both RDSH server and problematical RDLS server temporarily then check the result.
    6 check if there is network problem between RDSH server and RDLS server ?(port permission or ping or tracert command etc) NO PROBLEM
    Service overview and network port requirements for Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/832017/service-overview-and-network-port-requirements-for-windows
    RDS 2012: Which ports are used during deployment?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16164.rds-2012-which-ports-are-used-during-deployment.aspx

"I have reinstalled the licenses."
    7 do you mean you reinstall RDLS server ? YES

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:55 PM
  • sorry.  I was applying the group policy modification to the wrong server.  now I am getting network connectivity error.    "License server 5 is not available.  This could be caused by network connectivity problems.  the remote Desktop Licensing services is stopped on the license server.  Or RD licensing is no longer installed on the computer. "

all the services are up.  I am not sure if the issue is because the RDS is VM and something has to be set in the network card settings or not.

I appreciate your help.

Jamshid

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:00 AM
  • hi,
    9 from your picture2 ,do your 2019rdsh vm and W2019 remote desktop licensing server in the same network segment ?
    do your 2019rdsh vm and W2019 remote desktop licensing server in the same AD domain ?
    if they are in different AD domain ,is there two-way trust relationship ?

10 what the RD licensing Diagnoser information warning now ?

11 if it is possible turn off the firewall and defend software on both RDSH server and problematical RDLS server temporarily then check the result.
    12 can you enter netstat -ano in command prompt on both RDSH and RDLS server then look if there is TCP/UDP port not opened for RDLS 
    netstat
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/netstat

Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hello Support,

I resolved it.  I had a typo in the FQDN.  I appreciate everyone's help.

Jamshid

Thursday, April 25, 2019 9:30 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Friday, April 26, 2019 1:42 AM