it looks like labels with a # require a text box wider than necessary RRS feed

• Question

• hi , we run sql 2016 and develop in vs 2017.  it appears my labels that have a # in the name (eg part#) require a wider text box than necessary and therefore make the data value in the adjacent text box seem unnaturally distant from the label.  am i crazy and is there a workaround?
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 9:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have did some test locally, hope that I understand you correctly

The issue you are meeting is like the first row, you want the result like the second row.

The issue is related with the datatype in the database as shown.

When we edit the rows in the table with SSMS, you may see like

There are blank strings hidden in the text box and then we you design in VS, it requires a wider text box than necessary.

You may change the datatype in the SSMS to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Zoe Hui

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, August 14, 2020 3:12 AM
  • thx zoehui, these are stand alone ssrs text boxes that serve as a label (in my case in the header).   

eg literally the string "part#".  the separate text box to the right of this might be the value eg 12345.

there is no table source, so no data type.

I'm not sure if its related but when i stack independent text boxes one above the other (eg in header), i never seem able to get them really close even after changing their heights, making top guy align on bottom and lower guy align at top.   i never seem able to get the effect of no spacing between values like you can get in word . when i overlap them, i still dont get much improvement and always stand the chance of them being rendered or saved to word etc with data chopped off   

Friday, August 14, 2020 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry that I could not fully understand your meaning.

Which issue you are meeting in the three scenarios?

If it's none of the above, can you show me a screenshot so that we could resolve the issue more effectively.

Regards,

Zoe

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !

Monday, August 17, 2020 2:24 AM
  • thx 2 looks the closest to the question posted.  i cant right justify the literal part# because it aligns left wit other text boxes (eg invoice#) above it .

there is no table or matrix in this question.  these are standalone text boxes.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

I tried like this:

Shorten the length of the text box and justify the right text box to make them closer.

If this could not resolve your issue, could you show me a screenshot about the issue and the result you want.

Regards,

Zoe

• Proposed as answer by Zoehui-MSFT Friday, August 21, 2020 9:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by db042190 Friday, August 21, 2020 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2020 1:41 AM
  • thx, i tried that already.  did you try rendering the results?  if your results are like mine, they will render looking differently.
    Friday, August 21, 2020 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

I have rendered the result.

Do you mean you want the result like the second part?

Monday, August 24, 2020 1:59 AM