WmsDashboard crashes on MultiPoint on windows server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have problem use Multipoint on windows server 2016

Now user can remote to server. But i can't see all user because Multipoint is error.

Error alert message "the Multipoint  service is not responding on this machine. To fix the issue try restarting the machine.

and event view alert message

"

Faulting application name: WmsDashboard.exe, version: 10.0.14393.1532, time stamp: 0x5965a008
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1715, time stamp: 0x59b0d106
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000033c58
    Faulting process id: 0x1610
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d33b2b1e65063d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows MultiPoint Server\WmsDashboard.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 8767e17f-e138-46d5-89dd-dbb51ebbb680
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

" 

Thanks

Monday, October 2, 2017 3:43 AM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting this issue.  This appears to be similar to a known issue which we are investigating.

Can you  confirm this by following these steps?

1. Run "c:\Program Files\Windows MultiPoint Server\LogCollector.exe".  Click "Collect Data" and then "View Logs" in MultiPoint Log Collector 
    2. "View Logs" will open a folder with some zip files.  Open the latest zip file, and then open "Microsoft-Windows-WMS-Trace.csv" from inside the zip file (use notepad)
    3. Search for SecurityNegotiationException in the logs.

If you see this error, it is most likely the issue we have seen.  This is a problem with the security certificate MultiPoint uses for its web service.  That is the web  service which WmsDashboard is using to connect to the server.  The security certificate is created automatically by MultiPoint.  The easiest way to fix the problem is to run the following command in powershell, running elevated (as administrator):

net stop wms; $hostname = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem -Property Name).Name; Get-ChildItem -Path 'Cert:\localmachine\MultiPoint Services Certificates\' | ForEach-Object {if ($_.Subject -like ('*'+$hostname+'*')) {Write-Host ('Removing '+$_.Thumbprint); Remove-Item -Path ('Cert:\localmachine\MultiPoint Services Certificates\'+$_.Thumbprint)}}; net start wms

The certificate can also be manually deleted but the process to do that is complex, so either way should work.

If you want to try to manually remove the certificate, follow these steps:

1. You will need your local host name.  If you don't know that, you can run the command "hostname" from a command prompt and it will tell you the computer's host name.
    2. From a command prompt run “Net stop wms”.  You will need to be running in an elevated command prompt as an administrator.
    3. From a command prompt run “mmc.exe”.  You will also need to be running in an elevated command prompt as an administrator.
    4. CTRL+M to add a new snap-in
    5. From the list of available snap-ins on the left, choose certificates, then add it to the list.  There will be a popup dialog.  Choose computer account from the three options, then choose local computer
    6. Find “MultiPoint Services Certificates” in the list of  certificates for the local computer.  Delete all the certificates where “Issued By” is the local host name.
    7. Now run “net start wms”.  When the MultiPoint service starts, it will create a new certificate for you.  This should fix the problem.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:07 PM

All replies

• I use windows server 2016 + multipoint server 

and i see any problem at below

Application: WmsDashboard.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Net.WebException
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1+HttpRequestChannel+HttpChannelRequest[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].WaitForReply(System.TimeSpan)

Exception Info: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException

Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)

• Edited by Sixsonic Monday, October 2, 2017 9:12 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Thanks for reporting this issue.  This appears to be similar to a known issue which we are investigating.

Can you  confirm this by following these steps?

1. Run "c:\Program Files\Windows MultiPoint Server\LogCollector.exe".  Click "Collect Data" and then "View Logs" in MultiPoint Log Collector 
    2. "View Logs" will open a folder with some zip files.  Open the latest zip file, and then open "Microsoft-Windows-WMS-Trace.csv" from inside the zip file (use notepad)
    3. Search for SecurityNegotiationException in the logs.

If you see this error, it is most likely the issue we have seen.  This is a problem with the security certificate MultiPoint uses for its web service.  That is the web  service which WmsDashboard is using to connect to the server.  The security certificate is created automatically by MultiPoint.  The easiest way to fix the problem is to run the following command in powershell, running elevated (as administrator):

net stop wms; $hostname = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem -Property Name).Name; Get-ChildItem -Path 'Cert:\localmachine\MultiPoint Services Certificates\' | ForEach-Object {if ($_.Subject -like ('*'+$hostname+'*')) {Write-Host ('Removing '+$_.Thumbprint); Remove-Item -Path ('Cert:\localmachine\MultiPoint Services Certificates\'+$_.Thumbprint)}}; net start wms

The certificate can also be manually deleted but the process to do that is complex, so either way should work.

If you want to try to manually remove the certificate, follow these steps:

1. You will need your local host name.  If you don't know that, you can run the command "hostname" from a command prompt and it will tell you the computer's host name.
    2. From a command prompt run “Net stop wms”.  You will need to be running in an elevated command prompt as an administrator.
    3. From a command prompt run “mmc.exe”.  You will also need to be running in an elevated command prompt as an administrator.
    4. CTRL+M to add a new snap-in
    5. From the list of available snap-ins on the left, choose certificates, then add it to the list.  There will be a popup dialog.  Choose computer account from the three options, then choose local computer
    6. Find “MultiPoint Services Certificates” in the list of  certificates for the local computer.  Delete all the certificates where “Issued By” is the local host name.
    7. Now run “net start wms”.  When the MultiPoint service starts, it will create a new certificate for you.  This should fix the problem.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Thank you so much for Answer

i see error as below

Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.MultipointServer.AdminUI.UserTabAddin.UserSubTabListProvider..ctor(IServiceProvider provider)
    innerException:
    System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TLS with authority 'terminal.aggrogroups.com:8443'. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

I tried to manually remove the certificate follow all steps. And I can fix problem complete.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 6:27 AM
  • Solved my problem, thanks a lot!
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:24 AM
  • This was a good fix...fixed my issue on a 2016 Windows Server Multipoint server as well...thank you
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:43 PM
  • After I run net stop wms; $hostname = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem -Property Name).Name; Get-ChildItem -Path 'Cert:\localmachine\MultiPoint Services Certificates\' | ForEach-Object {if ($_.Subject -like ('*'+$hostname+'*')) {Write-Host ('Removing '+$_.Thumbprint); Remove-Item -Path ('Cert:\localmachine\MultiPoint Services Certificates\'+$_.Thumbprint)}}; net start wms

I receive this 

The MultiPoint Service service is not started.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.
    The MultiPoint Service service is starting.
    The MultiPoint Service service could not be started.
    The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

the multipoint service repair also will not start. This is a production server with  35-50 concurrent users at any given time. 

I have rebooted many times/disabled all GPO's/Update check ect

I cannot get multipoint to start to recreate the certificate..

any ideas on where to proceed reinstalling is off the table. 

Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:38 PM
  • Any ideas where to start on this?
    Monday, December 10, 2018 9:46 PM