none
View All Site Content Showing the wrong number of items RRS feed

• Question

• NOTE:  Similar post also had no answer: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointecm/thread/f775ba0d-648f-4be3-9017-78539915b281/

I am the Site Collection Administrator/and also tried logging in using Farm Account.  I go into View All Site Content and I show 15 documents.  When you actually go to the All Items view (and I double-checked, no filtering), you only find 9 documents. 

Versioning is not turned on.  I am a developer, so I also used the Web Service to try to troubleshoot.  The Lists.asmx web service shows an Item Count of 15 using the GetList method.  However, using the GetListItems method, the item Count reports 9 items, which is what I see in my browser.

Is there an stsadm command that I can run that will "true up" this number being reported in View All Site Content?

Thanks in advance.

- Update - 
    MOSS 2007 v 3.0 server farm.

• Edited by Susanh Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:02 PM More Detail
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:01 PM

Answers

•  

This is a very common question.

Normally what happens here is that there are documents in the library that were uploaded for the first time and never checked in, so only the owner of the files can see them no matter the view or permissions you have.

You can access the Library settings and then click on "Manage checked out files" and you will probably see the remaining files of the total number of items that SharePoint is seeing.

Regards,

Antonio

Moderator Note: Never propose your own posts as answers. The "Propose as Answer" function is there so that people can propose the good answers of other people. Not for self-proposing.
    • Proposed as answer by Antonio Segovia Monday, April 25, 2011 4:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 25, 2011 4:32 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 25, 2011 4:33 PM Moderator Note added about not proposing own posts
    • Marked as answer by Susanh Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:50 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• hI,

is there any folder exist under that document library?

thanksArup MCTS - SharePoint

Play Sudoku
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I have checked through the browser, through SharePoint Designer, and through the Web Services, and no, I do not see any folders.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Hi,

Please do the following to see folder if any (modify view).

Library > Settings > Edit View  then expand the option"Folders" and select "Show items inside folders"

please let me know about your findings...

Play Sudoku
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Arup:

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.  Yes, I tried both settings - "Show items inside folders" as well as "Show all items without folders" - they both produce the same results - a count of 15 when the View All Site Content shows 21 now (they have added more items since I first posted).

I'm really stumped, this seems like a bug to me.

Thanks
    Sue

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

I understood your problem. Please check whether any specific logic implemented for the view.

I can suggest you to create a new view and check how many items are showing.

Play Sudoku
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Arup:

Thank you for continuing to help on this one.  3 of us now have created new views and such - no luck, it still shows the wrong number.

Being developers, we just took a peek inside the database (don't worry, we know not to update anything there).  It actually listed out all of the items, including the ones that aren't shown in the UI.  We still can't figure out why, though, they are not shown in the views.  By looking at the row, it looks like the items started to upload, but never completed, because all of the required metadata is missing on those items.

We may just have a slight corruption of the database here.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

Please avoid to work with database directly.

Are you able to view all items with system account?

Could you please check security of individual items?

Could you please check list settings? and share the same with me.

Play Sudoku
    Friday, September 24, 2010 10:49 AM
  •  

This is a very common question.

Normally what happens here is that there are documents in the library that were uploaded for the first time and never checked in, so only the owner of the files can see them no matter the view or permissions you have.

You can access the Library settings and then click on "Manage checked out files" and you will probably see the remaining files of the total number of items that SharePoint is seeing.

Regards,

Antonio

Moderator Note: Never propose your own posts as answers. The "Propose as Answer" function is there so that people can propose the good answers of other people. Not for self-proposing.
    • Proposed as answer by Antonio Segovia Monday, April 25, 2011 4:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 25, 2011 4:32 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 25, 2011 4:33 PM Moderator Note added about not proposing own posts
    • Marked as answer by Susanh Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:50 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Antonio:  I for some reason never got alerts that you responded.  This is still an issue.

Geeze, I didn't even think about that, that happened in another case - to look at "Manage Checked Out Files".  I will try that and thank you.  If I can confirm that that is it, I will mark as answer.

Thank you

Sue

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:51 PM
  • HI Sue,

please deactivate and reactivate the publishing feature on the site and check once again.

Thanks,

Raj

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:07 AM
  • I realize the last response was over 2 years ago, but I'm having this same problem and it never seemed to get resolved.  I check the checked out files and nothing there.  All Site Content shows 21 items in the doc library but none when I click on the document library. 

My only possible thought is that another admin changed the permissions for these documents and then uploaded without checking in.  I have full control of the site but if another admin took away my permissions for a document I would not be able to see it in the checked out files. 

I guess the solution would be to check if anyone with admin rights uploaded but limited the permissions to themself only. 

The real solution is not to give admin rights to anyone other than you and your backup.  I was burned badly by an admin that decided to inherit rights at the top level of our division's site.  The problem was that no one in my region had access to the next level so everyone was locked out of everything and it was inherited all the way through the site.  Sorry I'm rambling now.  Just frustrated at the moment.

Friday, January 31, 2014 6:31 PM
  • I believe the count of items in "All Site Content" includes the folders in the library as well. I have checked this in a 2010 mode site in a SP 2013 farm. In a library with 24 folders (nested) and one document the count is shown as 25, so I guess you may have to create a view to display all documents without folders and set Total to display the real count of documents.

Also make sure all documents with no checked in version is accounted for as well.

-- The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of anybody else -- http://manojvnair.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 2, 2015 11:35 AM
  • I have come across this issue. In my case, I have deleted all the items from list/library but still the count is not getting updated in View All Site Content page as well as in SharePoint designer. After spending some time, I found that this is happening with only lists/libraries where default view comes with list that is AllItems view does not exist. Looks like somebody deleted it. No issues with rest of the lists/libraries.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:52 PM