Imaging a Surface unit. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

After a huge crash happeing on my unit due to PC defect , I decide to uild different type of imahing for my unit based on my scenarios.

So far I am use to ply with images with server 2008 suing WAIK and unatent xml fine and sysprep.
    I was wondering if some of you have run into this imagin process under surfac unit already and met any partucular issue ?

For example does runing the sysprep with generalize option without any unattended file can be used safely to restore an image without particlar things except that sysprep will prepare the system based on the factory setting

thnaks for help

regards

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:29 PM

Answers

• Yes I know about this factory setting restore partition and it is use internally imagin process.

What I will do for my unit is define for instance different images based on scenarios and use a WINPE 2.0 boot disk to retore them.
    For example if I have a demo to do I will have a Surface with all demos install and build an Image for this uising WAIK and sysprep

Then I need to prepare a unit for event I will setup a new image dedicated to that with necesary default app.

Then it will be more felxible for to be a saf state each time.

I am use to do that for Server 2008 and works greats, so I will try the same on Surface

The final goal is to have dedicated custom images set which restored easily based on your whishes

regards
    Serge

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Serge,

The Surfaces come with a partition from which you can do a recovery restore. If you have the SP1 USB stick you could even restore from that (but I would have to look up the procedure for that).

What else would you need to rebuild your Surface? I guess the partition won't do you any good if you can't get to your machine at all, but I guess in that case you want MS Tech support anyway.

Didn't the recovery partition work for you in your case?

Hope this helps a bit

Bye,

--
    Bart Roozendaal, Sevensteps
    "Serge Calderara - Solatys" schreef in bericht news:bfbf5890-36df-43bd-8670-31ec5d92d007...

Dear all,

After a huge crash happeing on my unit due to PC defect , I decide to uild different type of imahing for my unit based on my scenarios.

So far I am use to ply with images with server 2008 suing WAIK and unatent xml fine and sysprep.
    I was wondering if some of you have run into this imagin process under surfac unit already and met any partucular issue ?

For example does runing the sysprep with generalize option without any unattended file can be used safely to restore an image without particlar things except that sysprep will prepare the system based on the factory setting

thnaks for help

regards

serge

Bart Roozendaal, Sevensteps
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Yes I know about this factory setting restore partition and it is use internally imagin process.

What I will do for my unit is define for instance different images based on scenarios and use a WINPE 2.0 boot disk to retore them.
    For example if I have a demo to do I will have a Surface with all demos install and build an Image for this uising WAIK and sysprep

Then I need to prepare a unit for event I will setup a new image dedicated to that with necesary default app.

Then it will be more felxible for to be a saf state each time.

I am use to do that for Server 2008 and works greats, so I will try the same on Surface

The final goal is to have dedicated custom images set which restored easily based on your whishes

regards
    Serge

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:48 PM