none
Deploy Screen Saver via SCCM 1802 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Anyone successfully deploy screen saver via SCCM ?

Can share with us ?

P/S : Even though GPO is the best choice, but I would like to deploy via SCCM.

Thanks & Regards

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:24 AM

All replies

• A screensaver is normally just a .scr file, but can be packaged into a .msi as well.

If you just have the .scr file, you can use a simple copy technique: https://home.configmgrftw.com/copying-files-to-clients-using-configmgr/

If somehow packaged, do as you normally do when deploying software. :-)

Martin Bengtsson | Blog: www.imab.dk | Twitter: @mwbengtsson
    If a post helps to resolve your issue, please remember to click Mark as Answer.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

Create a bat file as follows. Change screensaver.scr to your file name and modify the time.

@echo off 
    copy screensaver.scr %windir%\system32
    REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\ Desktop" /V ScreenSaveActive /F
    REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\ Desktop" /V ScreenSaverIsSecure /F
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /V SCRNSAVE.EXE /T REG_SZ /F /D "%SystemRoot%\System32\screensaver.scr"
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /V ScreenSaveActive /T REG_SZ /F /D 1
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /V ScreenSaverIsSecure /T REG_SZ /F /D 1
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /V ScreenSaveTimeOut /T REG_SZ /F /D 120
    rundll32.exe user32.dll, UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

Then package it with your SCR file, create a program with it and then deploy it.

Key points
    1> Use the bat file as the command of the program.
    2> You must configure it to run with user's rights.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:34 AM
  • > "You must configure it to run with user's rights."

Copying stuff to system32 is usually not something a standard user can do and requires local administrative rights, so this will fail unless the user is a local admin (which the user shouldn't be)

The best advice here will be to copy the .scr file down locally on the device using configmgr and use group policies to set the screensaver.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Hello Martin,

Thanks for your mention. I forget to add that the user must have local admin rights to run above command.

The point is that if choose "run with administrative rights", the command is running under system context so it can not add above key under HKCU.

And I agree with you, the best advice is to do it by using GP.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:35 AM
  • A screensaver is normally just a .scr file, but can be packaged into a .msi as well.

If you just have the .scr file, you can use a simple copy technique: https://home.configmgrftw.com/copying-files-to-clients-using-configmgr/

If somehow packaged, do as you normally do when deploying software. :-)

Hi Martin Bengtsson,

Thank you for your prompt reply and advise.

Actually, I should rephrase my questions to : "Able to deploy screensaver to SCCM and force all users to use that particular screensaver."

The issue I faced is execute the screensaver using SCCM to force all users to use that particular screensaver.

As you have mentioned, convert scr to msi - any tool you will recommend ? ( I presumed you have done it before and I have no issue to find the right tool to package )

P/S : I need to have a method to work event if i have not activate the Operating System.

Preferably, work without Group Policy.

Thanks & Regards

Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Hii

i tried same. but did not work. can i have more clarification on these two lines.

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /V SCRNSAVE.EXE /T REG_SZ /F /D "%SystemRoot%\System32\screensaver.scr"

copy screensaver.scr %windir%\system32

from where the .scr file will be copied?

Roy

Monday, January 20, 2020 4:41 AM