none
Process Explorer Tree View Disabled | Greyed Out RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Peter,

The screenshot does not currently appear to be working. Yet based off of the question, I am inclined to suggest that you exit PE, and rename / remove [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer].  Then, see if things are as you would expect them to be.
    Monday, November 5, 2007 11:06 AM
  • The suggestion what above offered sounds helpful. I never considered to do something on the regedit. I ever conceived it a TreeView control question.
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:13 PM
  • Or... in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer] you can set the value for key ShowProcessTree from 0 to 1.
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Click on the "Process" column header. Process Explorer won't let you switch to Process Tree view if you've sorted by some other column.

The awful thing is that Process Explorer also won't tell you why you can't switch to Process Tree view.  That's very poor design, but typical for Microsoft. They work hard to make their software hard to use.

For instance, in their APIs, when a control is disabled/greyed-out, there's no provision for displaying a message when it's clicked on, to tell the user why it's greyed-out. That's obviously because Microsoft is run by sadists, who go the extra mile to make it difficult for software developers to make their software user-friendly.

Friday, September 16, 2016 12:48 PM
  • I don't see the behavior you are describing.

Microsoft did not create and does not maintain Process Explorer. Microsoft currently owns the rights to Process Explorer and the other Sysinternal utilities and provides the hosting for the website and forum but that is about the extent of their involvement. These utilities were largely written by Mark Russinovich and distributed by Winternals, a company founded by him and Bryce Cogswell. Winternals and their utilities were acquired by Microsoft when Mark went to work for them in 2006. He maintains Process Explorer in his limited spare time.
    Friday, September 16, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Some how another the "Process" column header was missing even though in View | Select Columns it does not appear possible to deselect this column. I deleted the "Process Explorer" sub-key in RegEdit and restarted Process Explorer. Now the tree view is visible again.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:28 PM