Powerpivot installation: RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed SQL Server 2010 RC0 on Windows 2008 R2 server. I've chosen the option SQL Server Feature Installation while installing SQL.

Now I want to install Powerpivot for sharepoint. I wanted to know what all precautions (steps basically) should be followed.

I believe I've installed Database Engine. What all are required to install in order to run powerpivot successfully.

Thanks,

Santosh

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The below link gives you what are the pre requisites and what are the steps to follow while installing power pivot for sharepoint

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210708(v=sql.110).aspx

-----------------------------------------------------

Mark as answer if helpful

Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Thank you very much Sachin. As said, I've installed SQL 2012 RC0 already. Do I need to uninstall SQL 2012 RC0 before starting installing Sharepoint 2010?

And also, SQL 2008 should be installed before starting installing Sharepoint 2010?

Thanks,

Santosh

Friday, February 3, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

No need to uninstall SQL 2012 rc0 and you don't need sql 2008 to install sharepoint 2010. To install power pivot for sharepoint just run the SQL 2012 RCO again and select powerpivot for sharepoint as shown in the above link (I have included a snap shot from that link below). Then just follow the steps from that link.  If the answer helps you just mark it as answer.

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Thanks again Sachin for much needed help.

So what you mean is, (I'm trying this new machine where there is no SQL 2012)

1. Install Sharepoint 2010 (no need to have any version of SQL)

2. Run the SQL 2012 RC0 setup again, and select the option SQL Server Powerpivot for sharepoint to install Powerpivot.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Santosh

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:32 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

While installing "Sql server power pivot for sharepoint", some data bases will be created and they will reside on SQL server instance. You need to have SQL 2012 RC0 instance.

Please refer to below link(in part-3 there is a "server cofiguration" wizard, where you need to specify accounts to run data base engine, analysis services etc)

http://powerpivot-info.com/post/66-step-by-step-guide-on-installing-powerpivot-for-sharepoint

-------------------------------------------

Please mark as answer if  it is helpful.

Monday, February 6, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Hi,

Below are the things that you need to perform:

1. Install SQL Server except the features of Reporting Services. There would be two options i.e., SSRS add on and another component below that. Uncheck those two and install SQL Server.
    2. Install SharePoint and provide the above installed SQL server 2012 instance as database server as the database source.
    3. After completing SharePoint configuration, install the remaining two SSRS components what were left in step 1
    4. Configure PowerPivot using the wizard as mentioned here
    5. Once you are done with this, you will have PowerPivot gallery appearing in the SharePoint site
    6. Upload the SharePoint model there inside the gallery.
    7. BAsed on that you would be able to create the PowerView report.

This is the overall cycle that we had experimented successfully. HTH.

Regards,

Phani Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Thank you very much Phaneendra. I'll follow the steps mentioned by you and will let you know if I'm successfull or not. Thanks, Santosh
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:06 AM