Upgrading to 8.1 lost skydrive files RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Windows 8 with the Skydrive pro software for a year or so. Everything was fine, until about 2 months ago, I noticed the skydrive software was constantly looking for changes, and it didn't seem to be syncing. I tried a few things to fix it, but none worked. So this week I downloaded the Windows 8.1 preview and installed that (apart from wanting to see it, I thought It might fix my skydrive not syncing issue.)

...Well now i'm left with some of the files from my skydrive on my Hard disk, some on the cloud, but where there were files that were in the cloud and on my hard disk, it has just got rid of the hard disk version. This is a problem with some of my Access databases and Excel spreadsheets that I update regularly, as I am now left with a file that is 2months out of date!

I don't like the way Windows just assumes that the cloud version is the most up to date, and then it seems it just deletes the copy that was on my hard disk (that was newer!!).

Am I right in thinking the files were deleted? Or can someone correct me? (Please!!) I did try looking in the windows.old folder, but no luck.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,

Arron

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:09 PM

All replies

• SkyDrive in 8.1 no longer downloads the files. You need to select which files are cached:

SkyDrive introduces smart files in Windows 8.1

http://blogs.windows.com/skydrive/b/skydrive/archive/2013/09/30/skydrive-introduces-smart-files-in-windows-8-1.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I understand that's how the new skydrive works. My question is, is there any way to retrieve the files that have disappeared from my hard disk's skydrive files?
    Friday, October 11, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Make them offline again. Or what do you mean?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Yeah I tried that, and it brings down the version from the cloud (which is 2 months out of date). The original from my hard disk isn't there.

thanks,

Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Yeah I tried that, and it brings down the version from the cloud (which is 2 months out of date). The original from my hard disk isn't there.

thanks,

The problem is in the behavior you noted.  If the files weren't syncing, how would you expect them to get out to the skydrive servers?  The up to date copies are on the old computer or old profile.  If you upgraded in place, probably in c:\windows.old\users.  Hope you made backups.
    Monday, October 14, 2013 6:20 AM
  • I checked the windows.old folder, and whilst it has some of my profile it didn't have the skydrive folder. No backup as skydrive was my backup. It doesn't make sense to me that doing the win upgrade would delete files off the disk so it can point you to skydruve where you have to download the same file again (which in my case was out of date)
    Monday, October 14, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Using the SkyDrive program with win 7 will only download the out of date copy from the cloud (which i already have). I need the original file that was on my hard disk that didn't sync to the cloud. During the win8.1 upgrade the hard disk copy of the file was replaced with a placeholder for the out of date online copy.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:50 AM