none
Unable to login to any PC or Server RRS feed

• Question

• First thing to say is that this was completely my fault.

I have a sbs server that I have slowly been fazing out, with transferring all data and important stuff over the past year. The last main thing that I had been putting off until last week was changing our inhouse exchange email to office 365. Which is now all done and working without a hitch.

Now I wanted to keep the the sbs server for spreading some of the work load, so after all O365 email was working I decided to free up the space that exchange 2010 was using up so I opened exchange and deleted the old default OAB under Organisation Configuration at which point Exchange froze and after 1 hour of no response I decided to turn off and turn back on. at which point when I tried to log in it said something like login server not available and now no users can login as it says there passwords are incorrect and the other server we have also says the same thing as the other sbs server.

Any help with this apart from why did I do this will be greatfully received.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please provide more details for us to understand your situation?

Is your SBS server worked as DC and is there any more DCs in your environment?

>>Transferring all data and important stuff over the past year.

Did you only copy the data or you have processed a migration? What is the new server? Still Small Business or not?

I have found a post explaining the Office 365 Directory Synchronization without Exchange server, this might not answer your question directly but some reference

https://jaapwesselius.com/2016/06/09/office-365-directory-synchronization-without-exchange-server/

What was the exact error when users failed to log on the server? Is there any authentication error?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 10, 2019 7:41 AM
  • The SBS server is the DC, i believed i had set the other server (server 2016) as a 2nd DC, but no the sbs has gone down and we cant logon i presume something has gone wrong.

I have been fazing out the old sbs server for over a year as i only do this when i have spare time, the old server has been down before but we never had this issue before.

Yes i started the migration and transferred all the user data. Stopped when i needed to keep the old server going for the exchange part.

Ive had no issues at all upto deleting the OAB, in fact i did something else now thinking back which maybe important, i unmounted a database in exchange.

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update. As you mentioned, the log on issue occurred when you processed migration. May I know what version you migrated to?

I found a post "Prepare your Source Server for Windows Server Essentials migration", please check if you have missed anything from the checklist.

Link :https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs/blob/master/EssentialsDocs/migrate/Step-1--Prepare-your-Source-Server-for-Windows-Server-Essentials-migration.md

It wasn't supposed to have such log on issue ( informing incorrect passwords) if there is indeed 2nd DC unless there was something wrong with your DC.

After checking with my team, you may consider the disaster recovery or system backup if both of the DCs were not working. And you can also seek assistance from the AD forum to understand more about log on error with DC changes.

Best Regards,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to follow up if any update for this post.

Please feel free to revert back if more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:32 AM
  • Hi, you cannot use the SBS 2011 in a domain unless it is the Boss in the network holding all the FSMO roles. SBS 2011 will NOT have future security patches come Jan 2020 so you should be fully retiring it, wipe the OS and if the hardware supports it install a later OS.

This site you may find useful

https://www.server-essentials.com/support/cutover-migration-sbs2011-exchange-server-2010-to-office-365

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:52 PM