none
"Stack overflow" error with List.Accumulate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am using List.Accumulate to allocate stock to various sales orders. I found the post below very helpful as I was trying to accomplish something very similar (I posted this question as a comment, but thought it might be better to ask a new question).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/292335df-67fc-4e1b-b7fb-249cade995bc/recursive-use-of-a-column?forum=powerquery

However, while this approach worked on a smaller sample dataset (~100 to 1,000 rows) when I was testing it, I'm now having problems with my actual data (which is ~5,000 to 10,000 rows). I get a "Expression.Error: Evaluation resulted in a stack overflow and cannot continue" when I try to run it on the larger dataset. Is this a limitation of List.Accumulate? Any ideas or tips to try to diagnose the issue?

I'm happy to share my code, but thought I would see if it's a known issue before diving in...

Thanks!

Cory
    Monday, November 4, 2019 4:52 PM

All replies

• Without seeing the code, it's hard to say exactly why this is happening or how to avoid it. But broadly speaking, M is a lazy language and some of the things you compute actually result in promises instead of immediate values. If the combination function passed to List.Accumulate results in a promise, then the result of accumulating over your list is a promise on top of a promise on top of... etc. At some point, when the actual value is calculated, it's done recursively -- the chain of promises is too long and the stack flows over.
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:10 PM
  • Hi Cory,

it would be a "known issue" if you'd skip the "Partitioned"-step. See for more details here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/05/29/performance-tip-partition-tables-crossjoins-possible-powerquery-powerbi/ 

So make sure you're applying the function on item-level.

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:53 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Below is my code, maybe that will help narrow down the issue. For context, it is taking one large table that contains Sales Order (SO), Purchase Order (PO), and inventory level information and transforms the data into SOTable (all of the sales order information) and SupplyTable (combines on hand inventory with incoming POs). The purpose of the query is to allocate the supply to the appropriate sales order based on a first in first out rule.

Imke, yes I did use the "Partitioned" step (named SOTableGrouped in my code). 

Thanks,

Cory

EDIT: I have a filter (FilterRows) for testing purposes that is set to only use the first 500 rows of the data source. It works fine with 500, but when I increase it to say 3,000 rows I get the stack overflow error.

Sample of SOTable:

SALES_ORDER

LINE_ID

ITEM_NO

BRANCH_PLANT

ITEM_QTY

CAFSLC-3

P843763-117-048-915

MKR651800L5

63437-07-JB

63437-07-JB

SE1A210C2AM-CSA

SERPUMPQC

Sample of SupplyTable:

ITEM_NO

BRANCH_PLANT

RemainingSupply

PO_NO

PO_LINE_ID

PO_PROMISED_DATE

Stock

null

null

Stock

null

null

CAFSLC-3

Stock

null

null

CAFSLM-3

Stock

null

null

Stock

null

null

DAB72

Stock

null

null

BG1014

Stock

null

null

96M360Q-TFE

Stock

null

null

AP843768-10079029

10/31/2019 12:00:00 AM

AP843732-10079027

10/31/2019 12:00:00 AM

AP843732-10079027

11/1/2019 12:00:00 AM

AP843768-10079029

TOH2-40-250-FM-060R1

M code:

let

fnAllocatePOs = (Previous, Current) =>

let

MatchingItemBranch = Table.Buffer(Table.SelectRows(Previous[RemSupply], each ([ITEM_NO] = List.First(Current[ITEM_NO])) and ([BRANCH_PLANT] = List.First(Current[BRANCH_PLANT])))),
            OtherItems = Table.Buffer(Table.SelectRows(Previous[RemSupply], each not(([ITEM_NO] = List.First(Current[ITEM_NO])) and ([BRANCH_PLANT] = List.First(Current[BRANCH_PLANT]))))),

SupplyAndDemand = Table.Combine({Table.AddColumn(Current, "RemainingSupply", each -[ITEM_QTY]), MatchingItemBranch}),
            SOFillDown = Table.FillDown(SupplyAndDemand,{"SALES_ORDER", "ITEM_QTY", "LINE_ID"}),
            TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(SOFillDown, "RunningTotal", each null, type number)),
            RunTot = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(SOFillDown[RemainingSupply], {0}, (Previous2, Current2) => Previous2 & {List.Last(Previous2) + Current2})),
            AddRunTot = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(SOFillDown) & {RunTot}, TableType),
            RemoveAllocated = Table.SelectRows(AddRunTot, each [RunningTotal] >= 0),

// Add PO to SO line
            AddToAllocation = Table.RemoveColumns(Table.FirstN(RemoveAllocated,1), {"RemainingSupply", "RunningTotal"}),

// Update remaining supply table
            UpdatedSupply = 
                    Table.RemoveColumns(
                        Table.ReplaceValue(RemoveAllocated, each [RemainingSupply], each if [RemainingSupply] > [RunningTotal] then [RunningTotal] else [RemainingSupply], Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"RemainingSupply"}),
                        {"RunningTotal", "SALES_ORDER", "ITEM_QTY", "LINE_ID"}),

Result =
                    [Allocation = Table.Combine({Previous[Allocation], AddToAllocation}),
                    RemSupply = Table.Combine({UpdatedSupply, OtherItems})]

in
            Result,

Source = Table.Buffer(Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="PHData"]}[Content]),
        FilterRows = Table.FirstN(Source, 500),
        FilterOn = 1,
        FilterToggle = if FilterOn = 1 then FilterRows else Source,

Types = Table.TransformColumnTypes(FilterToggle,{{"SHIP_TO", Int64.Type}, {"SHIP_TO_NAME", type text}, {"GEOGRAPHIC_REGION", type text}, {"SALES_ORDER", Int64.Type}, {"ORDER_TYPE", type text}, {"LINE_TYPE", type text}, {"PO_NO", Int64.Type}, {"SUPPLIER_NUMBER", Int64.Type}, {"SUPPLIER_NAME", type text}, {"PO_LAST_STATUS", Int64.Type}, {"PO_NEXT_STATUS", Int64.Type}, {"SHORT_ITEM", Int64.Type}, {"ITEM_NO", type text}, {"BRANCH_PLANT", Int64.Type}, {"DESCRIPTION", type text}, {"QOH", Int64.Type}, {"SALES_PROMISE_DATE", type datetime}, {"SALES_REQUEST_DATE", type date}, {"ORIGINAL_PROMISE_DATE", type datetime}, {"SALES_ORDER_DATE", type datetime}, {"SALES_SHIP_DATE", type datetime}, {"PO_PROMISED_DATE", type datetime}, {"ITEM_QTY", Int64.Type}, {"QTY_SHIPPED", Int64.Type}, {"QTY_BACKORDERED", Int64.Type}, {"EXTENDED_UNIT_PRICE", type number}, {"SRP3", type text}, {"SRP5", type text}, {"PRP2", type text}, {"SRP4", type text}, {"PRP6", type text}, {"LEAD_TIME", Int64.Type}, {"TO_ID", type text}, {"TRANSACTION_ORIGINATOR", type text}, {"HOLD_CODE", type text}, {"LAST_STATUS", Int64.Type}, {"NEXT_STATUS", Int64.Type}, {"ABAC15", type any}, {"FREIGHT_HANDLING_CODE", type text}, {"STOCKING_TYPE", type text}}),
        SOTable = 
            Table.Buffer(
                Table.Sort(
                    Table.RemoveColumns(Table.Group(Types, {"SALES_ORDER", "LINE_ID", "ITEM_NO", "BRANCH_PLANT", "ITEM_QTY"}, {{"All", each _, type table}}), {"All"}), 
                    {{"LINE_ID", Order.Ascending}, {"SALES_ORDER", Order.Ascending}})),

POTable =
            Table.RenameColumns(
                Table.Sort(
                    Table.SelectRows(
                        Table.RemoveColumns(Table.Group(Types, {"PO_NO", "PO_LINE_ID", "SUPPLIER_NUMBER", "SUPPLIER_NAME", "PO_LAST_STATUS", "PO_NEXT_STATUS", "ITEM_NO", "BRANCH_PLANT", "PO_PROMISED_DATE", "PO_QTY"}, {{"All", each _, type table}}), {"All"}),
                        each ([PO_NO] <> null)),
                    {{"PO_NO", Order.Ascending}, {"PO_PROMISED_DATE", Order.Ascending}}),
                {{"PO_QTY", "RemainingSupply"}}),

ItemStock = 
            Table.AddColumn(
                Table.RenameColumns(
                    Table.SelectRows(
                        Table.RemoveColumns(Table.Group(Types, {"ITEM_NO", "BRANCH_PLANT", "QOH"}, {{"All", each _, type table}}), {"All"}),
                        each ([QOH] <> 0)),
                    {{"QOH", "RemainingSupply"}}),
                "PO_NO", each "Stock"),

SupplyTable = Table.Buffer(Table.Combine({ItemStock, Table.RemoveColumns(POTable,{"SUPPLIER_NUMBER", "SUPPLIER_NAME", "PO_LAST_STATUS", "PO_NEXT_STATUS"})})),

SOTableGrouped = Table.Group(SOTable, {"SALES_ORDER", "LINE_ID", "ITEM_NO", "BRANCH_PLANT", "ITEM_QTY"}, {{"All", each _, type table}}),

AllocatePOs = List.Accumulate(SOTableGrouped[All], [Allocation = #table({}, {{}}), RemSupply = SupplyTable], (Previous, Current) => fnAllocatePOs (Previous, Current)),

DisplayRemSupply = AllocatePOs[RemSupply],
        DisplayAllocation = AllocatePOs[Allocation]
    in
        DisplayAllocation

• Edited by Cory Minkhorst Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:12 PM clarification
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:09 PM
  • I believe it's the Table.Combine in the return value of the function that's the problem. You should probably buffer the result of Table.Combine just as you do in the main part of the query (a place where it's probably not necessary).
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Hi Curt,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have worked, still getting the stack overflow error. It actually seems to happen with a fewer number of records now. Before the query would run OK with ~2,000 rows, but now I get the error with that number.

I updated the last few lines of the function as per below. Did I understand your suggestion properly? I also tried moving/adding/removing some of the other buffers in the function and main query to see if it would help, but no luck.

Is the idea that using Table.Buffer is forcing the "promises" to evaluate solving the chain of promises problem you mentioned in your previous reply?

Thanks,

Cory

// Add PO to SO line
            AddToAllocation = Table.RemoveColumns(Table.FirstN(RemoveAllocated,1), {"RemainingSupply", "RunningTotal"}),
            AddPrevAlloc = Table.Buffer(Table.Combine({Previous[Allocation], AddToAllocation})),

// Update remaining supply table

UpdatedSupply = 
                    Table.RemoveColumns(
                        Table.ReplaceValue(RemoveAllocated, each [RemainingSupply], each if [RemainingSupply] > [RunningTotal] then [RunningTotal] else [RemainingSupply], Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"RemainingSupply"}),
                        {"RunningTotal", "SALES_ORDER", "ITEM_QTY", "LINE_ID"}),

AddPrevSupply = Table.Buffer(Table.Combine({UpdatedSupply, OtherItems})),

Result =
                    [Allocation = AddPrevAlloc,
                    RemSupply = AddPrevSupply]

Monday, November 11, 2019 2:28 PM
  • Hi Cory. Were you able to make any progress on this?

Ehren

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:16 PM
    Owner