none
SBS 2011 - Windows Activation failed - access denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with a SBS 2011, the Windows activation is not possible with the error Access Denied.

I have already tried the slmgr / ipk productkey (in a administrative cmd), the slui.exe, the change product key in the role center; All with the same error: Access denid.

The user account is a Domain, Enterprise & Schema admin. UAC is disabled.

I have tried the technet solution with a GPO on the plug&play service as well as the permissions on HKU regkey; All without result.

I cannot restore the system files because the server does not use the builtin server backup feature, but a 3th party one (Acronis).

Is there something else I can try?

Or is there a telephone number available for SBS support from Microsoft?

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• When attempting to activate a Windows os, one should be offered an opportunity to register over the internet, or by telephone.... do you have any such when you attempt to activate this server?

Does the SBS have access to the internet for other sites?  If not, that is most likely the root of your problem.  If you don't have internet access from the SBS, you should check the default gateway and the dns servers, and run the wizards in the SBS console.

Telephone numbers vary by country, you should be able to use the internet search to find one for your geo area.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] Please mark the reply that answers your question. It helps everyone if you do this.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the current issue, I suggest we could try to refer to the following articles to see if it could help.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Activation Error 0xC0000022

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hu-HU/winservergen/thread/3d8b5f9e-a2d0-4053-beda-039b61bfefd8

How to troubleshoot Volume Activation error codes in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008, and in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938450

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:34 AM
  • When attempting to activate a Windows os, one should be offered an opportunity to register over the internet, or by telephone.... do you have any such when you attempt to activate this server?

Does the SBS have access to the internet for other sites?  If not, that is most likely the root of your problem.  If you don't have internet access from the SBS, you should check the default gateway and the dns servers, and run the wizards in the SBS console.

Telephone numbers vary by country, you should be able to use the internet search to find one for your geo area.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] Please mark the reply that answers your question. It helps everyone if you do this.

You can't open this window, error: access denied
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the current issue, I suggest we could try to refer to the following articles to see if it could help.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Activation Error 0xC0000022

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hu-HU/winservergen/thread/3d8b5f9e-a2d0-4053-beda-039b61bfefd8

How to troubleshoot Volume Activation error codes in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008, and in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938450

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

The Software Protection service is configured as "Network Service" & slmgr.vbs gives the error "Access denied"
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:57 AM
  • my problem goes like this...i have a genuine copy and license of SBS 2011...all of a sudden it is on windows server 2008 r2 and refuse to activate...now im a victim of piracy....MICROSOFT help desk said they dont support this version anymore please help
    • Edited by Conroepal Monday, May 27, 2019 2:35 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 2:32 PM