none
Software update Package distribution issue to secondary site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a new software update group, a new package and downloaded the updates and distributed it to all our distribution points. All the distribution points under the primary site have successfully completed the content transfer but the secondary site is stuck in progress state and description in the monitoring says "The content files for package XXXXX have not yet arrived from the source site XXX. Distribution Manager will try again later to distribute the content.". I tried to delete the package and download again, also downloaded the updates to an existing update package but the content transfer still done not complete.

Please suggest what can be done to fix the distribution issue.

Thanks & Regards

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:13 AM

Answers

• Surprisingly the issue is only with this specific set of updates and its content. I was able to distribute other packages to the secondary site.

I ended up pre-staging the content and extracted it on the secondary site.

• Marked as answer by Prasanth RS Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

When did you distribute the package? How long has it been stuck as "In Progress"?

The error you provided usually happens temporarily while the content is in transit from one site to another. Review the Sender/Despooler logs to ensure that there are no issues with site communications. If we see errors during site to site communication (Scheduler -> Sender -> Despooler), we should focus on resolving those errors before troubleshooting the above message in DistMgr.log.

If there are no errors, it may be necessary to force the parent site to re-send the package to the affected site.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Thank you for the suggestions. The content was distributed almost 48 hours back, I found a repetitive error in sender.log "Cannot write to \\XXXXXX.XXXX.net\SMS_SITE\205T2PRD.PCK, Win32 error = 64".

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:03 AM
  • Hello,

Error code 64 = "The specified network name is no longer available.

It seems that the network location is not available. We could test if we could connect the location manually. If not, check the network, DNS, router, and so on.

Hope my answer could help you. 

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:05 AM
  • Surprisingly the issue is only with this specific set of updates and its content. I was able to distribute other packages to the secondary site.

I ended up pre-staging the content and extracted it on the secondary site.

• Marked as answer by Prasanth RS Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:35 AM
  • Hello,

Glad to hear that you have found a workaround. However, it is not a actual fix. Here is a very good article which explains the process of cross-site distribution and how to troubleshoot the issues during it. 

Understanding and Troubleshooting Content Distribution in Configuration Manager
     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4482728/understand-troubleshoot-content-distribution-in-configuration-manager

Search "Distribute a Package to DP across sites" in it and hope it could help you to fix the issue.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:44 AM