none
Install Behavior for Applications - Notification is not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am following the instructions to show the user that open applications need to close before installation

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-install-behavior-for-applications/

We are running SCCM 1802 and I have added 2 applications to the "Install Behavior" tab to close IE and adobe. When the installation begins on the client the user is not prompted about the open applications and they are just automatically closed and the software installs successfully. Any ideas why explained in the article above that I am not receiving the notification below? TIA

Monday, July 2, 2018 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi GibsonLP2012,

There should be notification according to your screenshot.

If you deployed the application as Required, and specified to Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behavior tab of the deployment type properties dialog box, then the user sees a dialog box informing them that the specified executable files are automatically closed when the application installation deadline is reached. 

We recommend you to have a check of the setting in Client Settings > Computer Agent in SCCM as the following screenshot, especially the circled content.

Hope this helps and if there is any question, feel free to contact me. 

Best regards,
    Li Jianjie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Li Jianjie Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by GibsonLP2012 Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:53 AM

All replies

• If your deployment is required then the user will not be prompted to close the apps they will automatically be closed. The user is only prompted when you make the application available by software center.
    Monday, July 2, 2018 5:52 PM
  • According to the article the screenshot I have should be what the user receives when it is a "Required" install though. ty
    Monday, July 2, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Did you make sure you UNTICKED the box which says "Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behaviour tab of the deployment type properties box" when deploying the app?
    Monday, July 2, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Yes, but that should be ok as it says:

If Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behavior tab of the deployment type properties dialog box is selected, a more intrusive notification experience is provided to inform the user, and the specified executable files will be closed automatically at the deadline.

Thanks for helping, the statement above is why I am confused as there is no notification.

Monday, July 2, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Although your SCCM Site is on 1802 can you confirm that the clients have been updated? What you will find if you have not deployed the latest client package i.e. the clients are still using the 1710 client then the newer features will not always work 

"Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behaviour tab of the deployment type properties box"

If the box is ticked it will automatically close all apps without informing the user
    If the box is unticked it should prompt the user

Monday, July 2, 2018 6:11 PM
  • Yes, I can confirm the client is on the same version as the SCCM site. Strange not sure if there is anything else to try. ty
    Monday, July 2, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Hi GibsonLP2012,

There should be notification according to your screenshot.

If you deployed the application as Required, and specified to Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behavior tab of the deployment type properties dialog box, then the user sees a dialog box informing them that the specified executable files are automatically closed when the application installation deadline is reached. 

We recommend you to have a check of the setting in Client Settings > Computer Agent in SCCM as the following screenshot, especially the circled content.

Hope this helps and if there is any question, feel free to contact me. 

Best regards,
    Li Jianjie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Li Jianjie Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by GibsonLP2012 Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:53 AM
  • I was facing the same issue, found out the below after testing for few times ...

- "Automatically close any running executable .......... should be checked in "Deployment Settings" for this feature to work

- If "AVAILABLE" mode is used , notification works without issues 

- If "REQUIRED" mode is used,  ,Notification will work till the Deadline is reached , Apps will be closed automatically without notification past deadline.

- SOLUTION : If REQUIRED mode is used , do not use install ASAP option , instead set a deadline , and also make sure "Automatically close any running executable .......... " option is checked in "Deployment Settings"

Saturday, June 15, 2019 2:20 AM
  • - If "AVAILABLE" mode is used , notification do not work for us, installation just runs without any notification or process kill. 

- If "REQUIRED" mode is used, Apps will be closed automatically without notification past deadline.

When using available the "Automatically close any running executable .......... " option is  not aviable in "Deployment Settings"

We must do something wrong, why does this feature not work for the available option?
    (we are running SCCM 1906, without hotfix)

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:03 PM