none
DNS forwarders keep getting removed RRS feed

• Question

• We have several clients running Small Business Server 2011 and recently it appears the DNS forwarders are getting removed without any updates being installed or other interaction with the server that would remove them.  The connect to the internet wizard recommends using root hints, but from experience Exchange will intermittently experience sending delays or completely fail to send any email because of issues resolving DNS queries.  Is there some automated process in SBS 2011 that removes these DNS forwarders?
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:27 PM

All replies

• Upon checking a couple of client servers it appears the servers with issues have installed a Windows Update from May, other SBS 2011 servers without the May update appear to still have the DNS forwarders configured.  Is anyone aware of a known issue with an update causing this so we can avoid that update?
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:51 PM
  • hi,
    1 can you enter below powershell command and look which update patch cause your issue ?
    $QFE = Get-hotfix -computername $server | select-object -property Description,HotFixID,InstalledBy,InstalledOn | out-file c:\windows\temp\$server.txt
    change $server to sbs2011 hostname

2 is there event log about your issue ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:35 AM
  • I searched through the application, system, and DNS server event logs but there is no mention of DNS forwarders at all.  I found the time the DNS issues started, but there does not appear to be anything relevant in any logs around that time.  The last updates were installed in May, so I would not expect them to have an impact since they were installed so long ago.  
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:17 PM