Can't distribute Configuration Manager Client Piloting Upgrade Package RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded my Configuration Manager to version 2002 and shortly after installed hotfix KB4560496. I noticed a day or two later that there distribution points were not distributing the below content.

Configuration Manager Client Package, Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package, Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Piloting Package and Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Client Piloting Upgrade Package

They were stuck at evaluating content so I cancelled and revalidated with the same result. I then canceled and redistributed with the same result. I then made the mistake of removing the content (Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Client Piloting Upgrade Package) from the distribution points thinking I could just assign them again to a distribution point. I did this just because it was the smallest package but what I didn't realize is there is no way to assign it back to the distribution point as it is hidden.

Long story short I finally found a way to fix the packages dropping a blank Client.acu and a blank Cliupg.acu file in the inboxes\hman.box folder. It did re-create the packages and pushed them out to the distribution points except for the piloting upgrade package to the three distribution points because it still does not show a target for those three and that particular package. I have even tried powershell using the Start-CMContentDistribution command but get an error No object corresponds to the specified parameters.

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the steps to see if it helps:
    1.Rename the files ccmsetup.exe  (eg to add the extension "old") in directories "C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Configuration Manager \ PilotingUpgrade" and "C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Configuration Manager \ ClientUpgrade"
    2.After that, create "сlient.acu" blank file and place it in the directory "C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Configuration Manager \ inboxes \ hman.box" in the file log Hman.log can see that the package is created again and then distribution.
    3.After distribution, it is necessary to repeat the procedure. Remove an extension "old" from the ccmsetup.exe files. And again put client.acu an empty file in the directory "C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Configuration Manager \ inboxes \ hman.box" The packet will distribution again.

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:49 AM
  • I already tried that. It recreated the package but did not target the three distribution points that I had removed the content from. Instead of having 20 distribution points targeted for the package it only has 17. I did find this script but it only redistributes to distribution points already targeted. I not sure how to modify it to target the three not in the list.

$SiteCode = "ABC"
    $PackageID = "ABC00003"
         $distpoints = Get-WmiObject -Namespace "root\SMS\Site_$($SiteCode)" -Query "Select * From SMS_DistributionPoint WHERE PackageID='$PackageID'"
            foreach ($dp in $distpoints)
            {
                    $dp.RefreshNow = $true
                    $dp.Put()
            }

Thursday, July 30, 2020 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

This script is just for refreshing DP, if the package is not in the three DPs, the query "Select * From SMS_DistributionPoint WHERE PackageID='$PackageID'" will not return the results of the three DPs.
    Did you try the steps carefully as I mentioned?

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 3, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Yes, I have followed the script exactly but it only re-creates the package and redistributes to Distribution points already defined. I am not to worried about it as it is only the Piloting package but it is odd that the option is not there to distribute the package. That's why I mentioned a script. I'm sure there's a way with a script but I'm not good with scripts.
    Monday, August 3, 2020 11:53 AM