Changing source for more than one query at a time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

Is it possible to update more than one SQL Server based queries connection property at a time in PowerBI DashBoard Preview?
    I looked in Data Source Settings; there are no options to change the instance name. Am I missing something or is it not possible?

Prathy :)

Prathy K

Monday, July 6, 2015 4:11 PM

Answers

• I have not seen this functionality in the UI. I poked around using DAXStudio and can tell you that the Provider is a Microsoft.PowerBI.OleDB object so potentially you could connect in via code, gain access to that object and change it?

For some reason it seems to be a very "closed" system, you can't even create new data sources directly, you have to go through the query interface. I'm not sure if this is some kind of attempt to make things "simpler" or what but it clearly has its drawbacks.

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:46 PM

All replies

• I have not seen this functionality in the UI. I poked around using DAXStudio and can tell you that the Provider is a Microsoft.PowerBI.OleDB object so potentially you could connect in via code, gain access to that object and change it?

For some reason it seems to be a very "closed" system, you can't even create new data sources directly, you have to go through the query interface. I'm not sure if this is some kind of attempt to make things "simpler" or what but it clearly has its drawbacks.

Monday, July 6, 2015 6:46 PM
  • I haven't tried DAX Studio with powerBI. Need to give it a go.

What do you mean by code, is it M code ? Currently, I am Modifying M code in Advanced Editor, but that for each query and I have 22 queries in file !

Indeed, This process should be simple! I am hooping they will add more features related to datasource settings. Some very basic ones like changing connection string for all tables which are imported at once. Obviously we need this to deisgn with DEV data, promote to PROD , also for many other reasons...

Prathy :)

Prathy K

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:55 AM