none
PXE Boot Deployment Shows Successful but does not appear as option for PXE boot on client RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I am newish to SCCM but I have followed several tutorials on OSD and followed them to what I thought was a "T" but for some reason when I try to deploy a PXE boot option to a client computer it never shows up.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Some details:

The deployment options are "media and PXE only", required, start as soon as possible. Everything else I basically left alone. There is a boot image x64 and Windows 10 Enterprise it runs off of. Those have been successfully deployed manually.

I know that's not every detail possible, but I'm looking for basically any idea why it might say successful and have nothing happen. Note: it also said successful on a software installation package but the package didn't install.

Friday, June 21, 2019 3:49 PM

All replies

• If you want the deployment to show-up in WinPE and in the client Software Center, then you need to select the deployment option "Configuration manager clients, media and PXE."

Friday, June 21, 2019 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

It's recommended that we check the following options:

1. Please make sure we select Enable PXE support for clients option on the PXE tab in Distribution point properties. Review SMSProv.log and Smsdpprov.log to see if there are any errors and if the shared folder RemoteInstall is created correctly. 
    2. Add the Boot Images and your WIN 10 OS image to a PXE-enabled DP. Please monitor the DistMgr.log and PkgXferMgr.log.
    3. Select the deployment option "Configuration manager clients, media and PXE" as Kerwin mentioned. 
    4. For security consideration, it's recommended we deploy the OSD task sequence as Available rather than Required.
    5. Please review the Smspxe.log on server side, we shoud see the MAC address or the DHCPREQUEST of the device that you are trying to start. If we don't see that, a router configuration issue might exist between the client and the DP.
    6. Please try to reinstall the PXE-enabled DP.

For more detailed information, please refer to:
    Understand PXE boot in Configuration Manager
    Advanced troubleshooting for PXE boot issues in Configuration Manager

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:15 AM