Error creating relationships in BISM RC0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to create a BISM model using data from SQL server 2012 RC0.  At this point I have imported 2 tables - a fact table that does not have a unique row identifier and a dimension table (LoanType).  The LoanType dimension has 3 columns (LoanTypeID - which is an integer identity column, LoanTypeDesc and LoanTypeTerm) and only 5 rows, as follows:

1 Fixed 30
    2 Fixed 15
    3 ARM 5
    4 ARM 7
    5 ARM 10

When I attempt to create a relationship between the two, with the dimension table as the related lookup table and LoanTypeID as the related field I get the following error: "The relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values."

I receive similar errors when I attempt to set LoanTypeID as the row identifier for the table.  This has been re-created using a variety of tables, and the same process worked fine in CPT3.

Is this a known issue?  Are there any specific attributes that must be set on the source table for the tabular database to recognize a unique column?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:37 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue Karen, am also looking for an answer.

Amit

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Hi Karen,

We got around this issue by setting up Primary keys on the Dim tables in the underlying DB we were importing from and then setting up foreign keys to them on the fact tables in the same DB. When the import tables wizard was run it detected these relationships and recreated them in the Tabular model.

Hope that helps,

A

• Proposed as answer by Amit-Patel BI Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:52 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:52 PM