none
App-V 5.1 - Starting Application via LocalAppData Symlink not possible RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a pretty weird issue that i encounter with App-V 5.1 right now.

I have an application that i sequenced and that is running with an App-V 5.0 Client without any issues. If i'm updating the App-V Client to 5.1 i am no longer able to launch the application. The EXE starts for 5 Seconds and then terminates in Task Manager. (No log file entries nor Event Viewer entries).

If i manually execute the EXE using the following Path "C:\ProgramData\App-V\GUID1\7GUID2\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\AppName\App.exe" the Application launches without any issue.

If i use the Program Shortcut that Points to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\GUID1\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\AppName\App.exe" i'm unable to Launch the exe.

Sequencing the Application again with the App-V 5.1 Sequencer doesn't make a difference.

Has anyone seen something similiar before?

Simon Dettling | Twitter

My posts are provided 'AS IS' without warranty of any Kind.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 9:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Interesting. Will give a try in my lab and post you soon.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Friday, October 2, 2015 7:46 AM
  • We are in the same boat. We are currently trying to get Microsoft in a position to be able to replicate the issue in their Lab before a fix can be progressed. From all the evidence that we have given them there is clearly something in the 5.1 that breaks a minority of our Apps but not got to the bottom of what it is. Be interested to know what Application you are working with and also if you get any AppVEntSubsystems64.dll Event Log errors anywhere?
    Friday, October 2, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Today i noticed that on a App-V 5.1 RDS Client i get a generic application error when launching the app and the following Event-Log is beeing logged:

"The virtual application 'C:\ProgramData\App-V\PACKAGE_ID\APP_ID\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\App\App.exe' could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filesystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x74300E0A-0x20006}"

But here on the other Hand i'm unable to Launch the App via ProgramData as described in my first post. Application is "helpLine Classic Desk"

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Monday, October 5, 2015 9:18 AM
  • For the generic error you need to enable NTFS 8.3 Short name functionality on the client.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2777003

If you have already enabled it by following the steps in the KB article and still the issue persists then contact MS which would be the better option.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)
    BLOG: app2pack.blogspot.com

Monday, October 5, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. NTFS 8.3 Short Names is already enabled on my FAT- and RDS-Client.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:22 AM
  • @AndrewKelly, i'm also opening a case on this. Is it possible to exchange Case Numbers? (Maybe DM me on Twitter or via E-Mail on my blog). Thank you!

Friday, October 9, 2015 6:52 AM
  • You won't like my answer unfortunately.

Full story - all PCs running W8.1 across the Company. Making plans to move to W10. All of this testing on W8.1. The Application can be sequenced in 5.0 SP3 and 5.1. In both cases it runs fine on 5.0 SP3 client and crashes on 5.1 client.

I can copy the appventsubsystems64.dll from the 5.0 SP3 client to the 5.1 client and the package runs in 5.1. I can run the .exe from \Program Data\App-V\PackageID... and the application runs fine.

We are 99% certain it is a Buffer Overflow Error due to long filenames of an AddIn that is integral to the package but SHORTFILENAMES meant the AddIn did not load correctly.

But why does it load correctly in 5.0 SP3 and not 5.1? What has changed?

After finally being able to get Microsoft the relevant information to be able to replicate the problem in their Lab which they were able to do the Microsoft recommendation was to upgrade to W10 if we want to use this Application in 5.1.

The advice given was to upgrade to W10 if I want to use the 5.1 client and have this Application work. Admittedly it does work on W10.

If I want to get it to work on W8.1 I need to open up an in depth code analysis that is chargeable by the hour. I can see the other side of the coin being Microsoft can't spend ages trying to resolve all End Users problems but personally I think they could have done better in this case.

• Edited by AndrewKelly Monday, October 12, 2015 12:58 PM further consideration of content
    Monday, October 12, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Thanks for your detailed answer!

I also tried to copy the AppVEntSubsystems64.dll from my current 5.0 SP2 HF4 Client, but that seems to doesn't work for me. Application still only launches for approximately 5 seconds and then terminates. If i go the way via Program Data\App-V\Package-ID the Application launches without any issues.

Update: On a Windows 10 Client the App-V Package works without any issues.

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Although I agree with you it should work in 5.1, are you able to run the application if you use a link pointing to cmd.exe like:

<Shortcuts Enabled="true">
            <Extensions>
              <Extension Category="AppV.Shortcut">
                <Shortcut>
                  <File>[{Programs}]\YouAppName.lnk</File>
                  <Target>cmd.exe</Target>
                  <Icon>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\dummyicon.ico</Icon>
                  <Arguments>/c ""%programfiles(x86)%\AppName\App.exe""</Arguments>
                  <WorkingDirectory />
                  <ShowCommand>7</ShowCommand>
                  <ApplicationId>[{System}]\cmd.exe</ApplicationId>
                </Shortcut>
              </Extension>
            </Extensions>
          </Shortcuts>
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Thanks for sharing, if a modify the link as above the application can be launched successfully.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:34 AM
  • OK great, so you can use that as some kind of workaround, until MS comes with a solution.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Yes, this will definitely be useful as a Workaround. Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:05 AM
  • If anyone encounters the same, Microsoft actually did find the cause on this and they are planning to fix this with HF2, which will be released somewhere in February 2016. (No Warranty on the Release Date ;-) )

Sunday, October 25, 2015 3:31 PM
  • The Hotfix 2 for App-V 5.1 was made available a few minutes ago, which solves the issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3139245

Friday, February 19, 2016 1:26 PM
  • I have the same problem with the application Bentley microstation 8.1 ssr3 

runs fine if i start from de programdata path fails if i use the shortcut from appv itself.

I also tested the hotfix mentioned by Simon.

This hotfix dit not work for me.

regards

Roger

Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:28 PM
  • If you can reproduce it, as you said, you should create a Case.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:44 PM
  • I also have this issue at one customer. HF02 doesn't solve the issue.

The workaround works, but I add some more commands to hide the CMD

<Shortcuts Enabled="true">

<Extensions>

<Extension Category="AppV.Shortcut">

<Shortcut>

<File>[{Programs}]\YouAppName.lnk</File>

<Target>cmd.exe</Target>

<Icon>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\dummyicon.ico</Icon>

<Arguments>/c "start "" "%programfiles(x86)%\AppName\App.exe""</Arguments>

<WorkingDirectory />

<ShowCommand>7</ShowCommand>

<ApplicationId>[{System}]\cmd.exe</ApplicationId>

</Shortcut>

</Extension>

</Extensions>

</Shortcuts>

Monday, April 18, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Check your sequencing station and make sure NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation matches your clients settings.  I was getting error: 0x74300e0a-0x20006 in the eventlog that pointed to this setting on the clients, but my mismatch on the sequencing station was my real issue.  Clients had 8dot3 2=enabled, but my sequencing machine had it set to 1=disabled.  I ultimately changed my sequencing machine 8dot3=0(enabled on all volumes) and this resolved my issue.
    Monday, July 15, 2019 3:00 PM