does Multipoint server work with remote desktop restricted admin mode? RRS feed

• Question

• i am evaluation windows server 2016 multipoint point service.  it's not in an educational senario. I  just want to share the PC with my wife or my kid, so two concurrent users is OK. My installation is given a remote desktop grace period of 120 days. I wonder whether its possible to work with remote desktop restricted admin mode? https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32905.remote-desktop-services-enable-restricted-admin-mode.aspx

I can try the restricted admin mode configuration, but i have to make sure that it won't cause my windows server 2016 failed to start with multipoint service enabled. I have a PCIE video card and an mainboard integrated video card. Making  change of the boot video card in BIOS will cause multipoint  server 2016 fail to start. But i can simply revert the BIOS setting to fix this. If i make changes to the  remote desktop service and multipoint server  2016 fail to start, what shall i do to rescue?

In task manager -> user tab, if i logoff the user WmsShell, I can return to an environment like normal windows without multipoint service. But can i re-enter the multipoint service with some command instead of restarting? Is it possible to configure windows 2016 to  start just normal, and enter Multipoint environment after running some command?

Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:54 AM

All replies

• Another thing i experienced this morning:

When i wake the PC up by pressing the power button, i found that the network icon at lower right has a yellow exclaimer icon on it.

IPConfig shows  that no valid DHCP address aquired. Maybe i should have tried IPConfig/renew first. But, i just went to the network and sharing Center, and disabled the network adaptor. Then, my two clients stopped responding, i could see mouse pointer moving, and i could hear the "dang dang" sound from speaker when i hit keyboard. But  just could not open or close any window. Ctrl+Alt+Del did not work.

My power button pressing just put the PC  into sleep (i configured it that way deliberately), and everything remained the  same after waked up. I have to unplug the power to restart the PC.

After restarting, i can log on, i can see WmsShell logged on in task manager. But the network adapter remain disabled. I can re-enable it in network and sharing center.

So, why disabling the network adaptor make the system "dead", while i can logging again with network adapter remains disabled?

• Edited by GuYuming Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:41 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:28 AM
  • Another thing is, windows will prompt for administrator password asked by the Tecent QQ , which  is widely  used in China. The Chinese on screenshot below means something like "QQ security protect update process".

When this dialog was prompted, both my client screens blacked out, only this dialog window showed on one of them. I just let it be, fortunitely, the prompt disappeared and everything returned normal after tens of seconds, just enough time for me to take a photo with my mobile phone.

could anyone provide guidance to investigate this issue? something like a link which may help to understand this issue?

• Edited by GuYuming Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:28 AM