none
Windows 10 UEV - Custom Settings overwritten by "New Default Profile" in NEW Profile Creation on logon? RRS feed

All replies

• hmm, this seems odd.

We have both desktop, themes, favorites and start menu (not the tiles at the moment), roaming with UE-V.We are using "SyncProvider" for fat clients, and "None" for VDI. Also we have use vDI mode for Ue-V - for all computers (via GPO), that setting enables UE-V to disregard certain machine specific settings. We also have set UE-V settings:

WaitForSyncOnApplicationStart      True
    WaitForSyncOnLogon                 True

The thing I have learned is to use "Asynchronous" mode in the template file when using syncprovider and also support new profiles:

<Asynchronous>true</Asynchronous>

But still there are some race conditions when changing computers and logging on for the first time - it can take up to 2-3 logins after creating the profile - until all UE-V templates settings are applied - the good thing is that it eventually gets applied (at least in 1709).

We are now on Windows 1709 - and we do roam the TilesStartMenu as well at the moment, using the template provided here in the UE-V gallery with minor changes.

Hopes that helps.

Monday, January 15, 2018 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

Did you resolve this? I am having the same problem. 

Thanks

Ricky

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:04 PM
  • We have successfully enabled UEV for Windows 10 (Built in default) and Windows 7 (MDOP).

The Settings are successfully roaming.

There is a HUGE issue though and I am not sure how to remediate it.

When a user logs into a new machine that doesn't have a profile built, Windows 10 builds them a "default" profile but then UEV doesn't run afterwards and bring in all their custom settings.

Instead the "default" profile goes and overwrites the users settings on all their other workstations with Windows Default.

I expect this has to do with Active Setup that builds the profile and Windows then sees it as the "most recent" and overwrites other custom settings.

For example if I have a background picture on my 3 workstations and I logon to a new Windows 10 workstation, the Active Setup will set the Windows Default background and then all my 3 workstations will go and change to the Default Background?

Is there any thing I can add to the task scheduler, or active setup reg key or anywhere that can force UEV to use the EXISTING profile settings and overwrite the default?

Note I do have Sync Method sent to None because I found it works more efficiently than set to something else. %homeshare%%homepath% is the settings location and it works fine.

Windows Components/Microsoft - User Experience Virtualization

lforbes

Did you resolve this? I am having the same problem. 

Friday, March 1, 2019 2:08 AM
  • hmm, this seems odd.

We have both desktop, themes, favorites and start menu (not the tiles at the moment), roaming with UE-V.We are using "SyncProvider" for fat clients, and "None" for VDI. Also we have use vDI mode for Ue-V - for all computers (via GPO), that setting enables UE-V to disregard certain machine specific settings. We also have set UE-V settings:

WaitForSyncOnApplicationStart      True
    WaitForSyncOnLogon                 True

The thing I have learned is to use "Asynchronous" mode in the template file when using syncprovider and also support new profiles:

<Asynchronous>true</Asynchronous>

But still there are some race conditions when changing computers and logging on for the first time - it can take up to 2-3 logins after creating the profile - until all UE-V templates settings are applied - the good thing is that it eventually gets applied (at least in 1709).

We are now on Windows 1709 - and we do roam the TilesStartMenu as well at the moment, using the template provided here in the UE-V gallery with minor changes.

Hopes that helps.

it looks like you are not experiencing problems with taskbar shortcuts
    Please share the shalon that you use.
    Options
    WaitForSyncOnApplicationStart True
    WaitForSyncOnLogon True
    I have the keys, but they do not give a result.
    Friday, March 1, 2019 3:27 AM
  • I found registry key in my profile and add it to mandatory registry of default profile

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

KeyName REG_DWORD32: StartMenuInit
    Value: d

and after that new profile have no any default icon in taskbar, BUT users icons does not overwrite by first run and sync successfully :)

Sorry, it does not work :((((((((((
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:42 PM