none
R with Visual Studio Code RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning, all -

Because of, I believe, a bit of overzealousness on the part of my employer's IT security policies, I am unable to use R Studio to its fullest. Well, barely past the basics, to put it another way.

There is a dll that needs to be installed to use ggplot functions, mutate, %>%, etc. that is being blocked by our IT security. So, R Studio is rather worthless.

But, then I came across Visual Studio Code and the R extensions available for it. Upon initial installation, I saw that it appeared to have all the current R libraries preloaded. So, I thought this might get me past the IT security block I've been beating my head against.

Unfortunately, it seems the extensions documentation presumes more knowledge of - well, something - than I have. For example, the usage instructions for Yuki Ueda's R extension says;

For Windows, set config r.rterm.windows to your R.exe Path like "C:\\Program Files\\R\\R-3.3.4\\bin\\x64\\R.exe";

OK. Config what? What config am I setting? Where do I find it?

So, I'm wondering if anyone here might have or know of some sort of basic tutorial I can reference that will tell me how to use R with Visual Studio Code. Something that will at least get me started and on the path to figuring this out.

Thanx in advance for any assistance!

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:53 PM

Answers

All replies