Error 25109: could not create the configuration data store (part II) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

First of all, im installing Softgrid server 4.5 in a virtual lab environment based in msde 2000a. Does anyone already really installed this with sucess?

What type of parameters do you supply in the msde instalattion besides the sapwd= ?

What SQL version do you consider to be the most compatible with SG 4.5?

Regards.

Pedro de Paula

Portugal

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:36 PM

Answers

• Sql Express is not supported in production, but works great.  I show the steps needed in "Episode 7 of Sequencing with Tim Mangan" video at www.tmurgent.com 

Basically, because windows authentication is going to be used, after installing SqlExpress, you need to give the Administrator who is going to install the first VAS rights in SqlExpress equal to that of the sa user.  Otherwise he can't create the database.  This is a change in 4.5 and is why you aren't prompted for the sa password during the VAS install anymore.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• According to the readme, SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 are listed as th approved choices.  I have had success with SQL 2005 Expresss as well.  MSDE I haven't been able to come up with the correct paramaters but this post could help you out on your quest.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2414118&SiteID=17

As far as MSDE if you upgrade from a 4.1.1 server I have had success, but not in a clean installation.

Matt

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:10 AM
  •  

Hello,

Same problem here with SQL 2005 Express and SoftGrid 4.5 : the database get created but without any tables.

If i run the setup again and choose connect to an existing database, the wizard complete successfully.

Pierre

France

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Sql Express is not supported in production, but works great.  I show the steps needed in "Episode 7 of Sequencing with Tim Mangan" video at www.tmurgent.com 

Basically, because windows authentication is going to be used, after installing SqlExpress, you need to give the Administrator who is going to install the first VAS rights in SqlExpress equal to that of the sa user.  Otherwise he can't create the database.  This is a change in 4.5 and is why you aren't prompted for the sa password during the VAS install anymore.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Great response Tim!

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:22 AM
  • I recently saw a thread that indicates the 25109 could be related to a case sensitive issue with the SQL store. This issue may not be an issue on case insensitive SQL.

If someone can confirm a post is always welcome.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Hello. I can't install it too. I have Windows Server 2008 with SQL 2005 Enterprise and I kept getting the same error. I don't know what to do. Database is case insensitive, I'm installing it on Domain Admin account... what else can I do?
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:38 AM
  • We ran into this today on and found a way around it. We think this was the cause of the problem:  

We had previously had a 4.5 server, running in a VM, that we trashed - removed from domain - deleted....

We built a new VM but used the same name as the original server.

Every attempt to install the 4.5 Management Server on this new VM failed with the 25109 error.

We got it to work after finding that the SQL server had retained the machine account for the original server (which was the server name with a $ appended to it) - remember this was the same name as the new server. There must be a GUID or SID associated with the old machine. I'm not a SQL guru, so maybe someone can confirm this.

After we deleted the referneces to this machine name from the SQL server and tried installing the Management Server on our server VM, everything worked perfectly.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Jim
    • Proposed as answer by Luke Maslany Friday, March 2, 2012 2:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:29 PM
  • I had this exact issue when trying to upgrade form 4.5 to 4.5 CU1.  I had to remove all the instances to the old server name on the SQL server then re-run the install.  Everything ran throught just fine after that.

Thanks!!
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:51 PM
  • We ran into this today on and found a way around it. We think this was the cause of the problem:  

We had previously had a 4.5 server, running in a VM, that we trashed - removed from domain - deleted....

We built a new VM but used the same name as the original server.

must be a GUID or SID associated with the old machine. I'm not a SQL guru, so maybe someone can confirm this.

Jim

Same here:

Some * setup a 2008R2 from a template under Vmware and made a typo in the server name. We run Setup had failures because of Installing to an external SQL 2008R2. Still the Computer account from the FALSE Server name like DOMAIN\SERVERAPPV$ had a "user/Logon" in the SQL. Certain issue was that the Installing account "Domain Admin" had not enough perm. because of locked down swl (Which is ok and good). Check the Mentioned white apper from MS which describes how to setup the DB seperat together with the DBA.

Whitepaper:

Creating a New Application Virtualization 4.5 Database Using SQL Scripting

There is also a good Blog and complete manual for people who want to migrate the APPV DB from 2005/2008R2 SQL:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2012/02/08/a-complete-guide-to-sql-2008-app-v-database-migration.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:20 AM