2012 AlwaysOn group failing to create. Getting error 41131 and Operation Timed out. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been able to successfully create an AlwaysOn group in our development server environment and now we are trying to validate that the SQL 2012 AlwaysOn option will work in our other development2 environment. I am able to create the fail over cluster between the two machines and bring the virtual network name online, but when I go through either the new availability group wizard or pop up or using scripts I always get the same error. I cannot find any other users of SQL 2012 that have documented the 41131 error and I don't see any specific related information in the error logs. The group validation tests all pass with the exception of a listener because we do not have a listener. 

The wizard gets to the "Creating Failover group FailoverSQL" 4th step in the final wizard screen. Below is the error details, any suggestions on where to start looking or what the source of error 41131? I appreciate any input this group might have.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Creating availability group resulted in an error. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.HadrTasks)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Create failed for Availability Group 'FailoverSQL'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=11.0.1750.32+((SQL_PreRelease).111104-1732+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Create+AvailabilityGroup&LinkId=20476

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Failed to bring availability group 'FailoverSQL' online.  The operation timed out. Verify that the local Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) node is online. Then verify that the availability group resource exists in the WSFC cluster. If the problem persists, you might need to drop the availability group and create it again.

Failed to create availability group 'FailoverSQL'.  The operation encountered SQL Server error 41131 and has been rolled back.  Check the SQL Server error log for more details.  When the cause of the error has been resolved, retry CREATE AVAILABILITY GROUP command. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 41131)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=11.00.1750&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=41131&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:28 PM

All replies

• Any entries in the SQL Errorlog?

Did the command create the resource in the cluster? Or did it fail before that?

It would also be nice to see a cluster log from the node.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:46 AM
  • The process does not create the resource in the cluster. It is also not available in the AlwaysOn group listing. I was able to add a generic service to the cluster and share that between the nodes so I know that the cluster piece is working ok. 

The SQL Log contains these entries:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date 1/12/2012 8:25:28 AM

Log SQL Server (Current - 1/12/2012 1:45:00 AM)

Source spid69

The state of the local availability replica in availability group 'FailoverSQL' has changed from 'NOT_AVAILABLE' to 'RESOLVING_NORMAL'. The replica state changed because of either a startup, a failover, a communication issue, or a cluster error. For more information, see the availability group dashboard, SQL Server error log, Windows Server Failover Cluster management console or Windows Server Failover Cluster log.

Date 1/12/2012 8:26:28 AM
    Log SQL Server (Current - 1/12/2012 8:25:00 AM)
    Source spid69
    The state of the local availability replica in availability group 'FailoverSQL' has changed from 'RESOLVING_NORMAL' to 'NOT_AVAILABLE'. The replica state changed because of either a startup, a failover, a communication issue, or a cluster error. For more information, see the availability group dashboard, SQL Server error log, Windows Server Failover Cluster management console or Windows Server Failover Cluster log.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The cluster log has these entries:
    Cluster resource 'FailoverSQL' in clustered service or application 'FailoverSQL' failed.
    The Cluster service is attempting to fail over the clustered service or application 'FailoverSQL' from node 'datapro3' to node 'Data2'.
    The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application 'FailoverSQL' completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application.
    The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application 'FailoverSQL' completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application.
    The Cluster service is attempting to bring the clustered service or application 'FailoverSQL' offline.

Troubleshooting this has been hard because the errors are so generic. Have you ever seen the error 41131 or do you know what that could be related to? Any further thoughts on troubleshooting routes? I appreciate the assistance.

• Edited by JamesBeech Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:32 PM formatting
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:31 PM
  • I was able to create and bring online the availability group from the previous secondary node. So I created the group on the previous secondary and brought it online as the primary and was able to add the two nodes. The problem still exists on the secondary. When I try to fail over to that server I get the "Operation Timed Out" error like above. So I know the problem exists only on this node. 
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:48 PM
  • When you failover the group in cluster manager, what is the message? and to what state do the resources get in the end?

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:31 AM