none
Location is not available error message for mapped drive after upgrading to 8.1

Question

• Hello,

I'm having an issue with a few different PCs running 8.1 (and now 10 as well) where our mapped drive will get this error message:

"[Mapped Drive Location] is unavailable.  If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again.  If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again.  If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

This happens at random intervals and I'm not able to replicate it besides just leaving a folder open to a location within a mapped drive.  

The contents of the folder will disappear, but you can navigate right back to the location without any issues.  This was not an issue in 7 or 8, but when upgrading to 8.1, it began happening.  Windows 10 machines have this issue as well.  

I've tried adding different registry keys such as adding the key EnableLinkedConnections to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and also changing an autodisconnect key, but I can't recall where that was.  

Since this is happening to some version of Windows and not others, I'm assuming there is some sort of tweak to fix this and I'm hoping someone has come across it here.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:17 PM

All replies

• I also wanted to add that the mapped drive is a share located on a server running 2012 R2 and the drives are located in an SA120 Lenovo storage array.
    • Proposed as answer by Craig_RGC Friday, January 18, 2019 3:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Craig_RGC Friday, January 18, 2019 3:46 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Are the Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 computers joined to the domain?

You may also want to make sure that they are on Private network in the Network and Sharing Center. 

There could be an issue with the DNS. Try using the IP address of the server instead of by name.

You could also open the command prompt and run ipconfig /flushdns then run ipconfig /registerdns.

Bruce Wooding Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Yes, they are both joined to a domain.  They are currently on Domain network and there isn't a way to change it.

Flushdns and registerdns did not resolve the issue. 

I've noticed that using the "Add Network Location" and adding the UNC path to the server works fine and it never disconnects.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:48 PM
  • see this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2019185

try to remap the location.

Friday, September 4, 2015 8:28 AM
  • It is remapped every time the user logs in.  It's set up as part of GP.  

That link isn't exactly our issue.  The error does not occur while copying, but rather at random intervals.  It can happen when you're actively using that folder or it may happen when the folder is sitting idle in the background.

I have not tried disabling UAC.  I will try that and see if that works.  

Using the UNC path to connect to the folder works fine as well, but that's just a workaround and not a solution.  

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:57 PM
  • I'm having this same issue in Windows 10.  GPP mapped drives will toss the "Location is not available" error randomly for no reason.   Have you found a solution? 

-Craig

Albion

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Hi Craig,

I have not found a solution for this yet except for using the "Add a network location".

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Guys I think I found something 

Please try here - 

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1139165-windows-10-losing-mapped-drives?page=2#entry-5269600

I just applied to 200 machines and I will wait tomorrow for feedback 

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:13 AM
  • Is there any feedback?

I am experiencing the same issue with some users.

Would like to know if this fices the issue

• Proposed as answer by ichko Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ichko Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Is there any feedback?

I am experiencing the same issue with some users.

Would like to know if this fices the issue

Are you mapping network drives via GPO if that's the case you have to change GPP to from "replace" or "create" to update. When GPO is re-applying every 20-40 mins .you get that error msg. It took me 4-5 months before I found post on the same topic at the spiceworks forum - please see my previous msg the link is there and let us know if that worked for you Cheers!
    • Proposed as answer by Craig_RGC Friday, January 18, 2019 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:35 PM
  • This makes perfect sense why it would be doing that. I just changed ours from replace to update.  I'll update within the next few days if it works for us.

Thanks for the update!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Did this work?

All of our Drive maps are also currently set to replace.
    I am conscious that this may cause users to lose their drives; can you confirm this isn't the case?

Friday, January 20, 2017 12:51 PM
  • This won't affect users at all
    Friday, January 20, 2017 2:37 PM
  • Sorry for not responding back, but yes it did work. I haven't seen the error for months and users did not notice anything.
    Friday, January 20, 2017 3:18 PM
  • hi there i was also facing lot problem with this issue but now its been solve 

share all network pc and access main server from all shared pc run example ip \\192.**.**.** all problem will be solved

• Edited by suhelkk Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:53 AM
  • Windows 10 Network location is not available : Solved https://youtu.be/CUMaac8s-4k

• Edited by suhelkk Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:12 AM
  • In your case you’re most likely having issues with dns or netbios
    • Edited by ichko Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:43 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:37 AM
  • He is describing random disconnects intervals and he is receiving error msg Network drive is unavailable

• Edited by ichko Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:52 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:45 AM
  • Check your organization's Group Policy drive mappings.  If they are set to "Replace" then your drive letters will get momentarily disconnected and reconnected each time your computer refreshes its Group Policy settings.  

This was happening to us, and it was because we had recently changed file servers and had changed our Group Policy drive maps from "Update" to "Replace".  We noticed that when this disconnection occurred we would typically see an item in the event log entry about refreshing Group Policy a moment or two later.  Eventually we put the pieces together and are now changing our drive maps back to "Update" instead of "Replace".  In our case using the "Replace" setting should only be necessary until everyone got switched over to the new file server anyway.

I hope this helps!  We struggled with it for several days until we figured out what was going on.

Craig

• Proposed as answer by Craig_RGC Friday, January 18, 2019 3:53 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2019 3:52 PM