Skype for Business 2015 - RTCSRV has unexpectedly stopped and won't restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm running paired Skype for Business Standard Edition servers, running on Windows Server 2012 virtual machines. Up until Wednesday of this week, the deployment was working without issue, but around 5:00 Wednesday evening (GMT), the RTCSRV (Front-End) service unexpectedly stopped - I'm still not sure why, as the deployment was idle at the time (it's a test rig rather than a live deployment). In the Services app in Windows, the Front-End service is present but not running (and not stuck starting).

If I try to restart the service, I get the following errors (both of these occur on either server of the pair):

-Using Start-CsWindowsService:

Error: Service RTCSRV entered into an unexpected state while waiting. Expected State: Running. Actual State:Stopped.

Type: InvalidOperationException

at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Core.NTService.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus expectedStatus, ServiceControllerStatus unexpectedStatus, TimeSpan TotalWaitTime)
    at Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.Core.NTService.Start(Boolean wait)

-Using Start-CsPool:

Start-CsPool : Please make sure at least 1 machine(s) are in running or
    starting state to achieve fabric network ring quorum from the following
    machine list. Also makes sure Windows Fabric Host Service is running on those
    machines.
    STSKYPE2015.STSFB.COM
    At line:1 char:1
    + Start-CsPool
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Start-CsPool], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId :  Not enough seed nodes are running.,Microsoft.Rt
       c.Management.Hadr.StartOcsPoolCmdlet

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any idea how I can get the deployment running again?

Thanks!

Friday, February 3, 2017 5:31 PM

All replies

• Lync Server Events should have more info.

Saturday, February 4, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Event logs could give you more information on this, Make sure that the both  the servers are patched to the latest CUs and also has the windows updates.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Monday, February 6, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Hi Philip,

As others suggested, please give us more information.

You could also use Microsoft remote connectivity analyzer and then check if there are any error messages
    https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

The following document describes Lync FE service can’t start, it’s similar to SFB 2015
    http://troubleshootinglync.blogspot.sg/2014/03/lync-2013-front-end-service-wont-start.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, February 13, 2017 9:42 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 8:53 AM
  • First thing you need to verify the server name is exists in Toploy.Once confirmed,rerun the deployment wizard on server.

Start the service again and verify if it is getting started.

If stiil not you may need to reset the pool.Follow below instruction for the reset pool steps.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj619172.aspx

Jayakumar K

Monday, February 6, 2017 12:58 PM