NTP server on two different time zones EST and PST RRS feed

• Question

• I have two sites having three domain controllers. I had setup authorized NTP server on my primary domain controller which is in PST zones. One other domain member server is in EST zones. There is 3 hours difference. I want to setup my EST domain controller as NTP server to provide NTP services for EST zones. It means there should be 3 hours difference between times for client systems on each sites. And they should get the time sync from their local DC servers on each site which are running as NTP servers. Pls suggest how to setup this.
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:17 PM

Answers

• NTP does not handle timezones. Time data that are managed by NTP are in UTC. Timezones need to be managed locally on your servers. You can achieve that as mentioned here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/39b2e24e-be8a-415a-ae67-3511a43fcce2/group-policy-to-set-the-time-zone

For time sync in AD environments, I would recommend that you refer to the Wiki I started here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18573.time-synchronization-in-active-directory-forests.aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Friday, March 20, 2015 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:27 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:40 PM
  • Thanks for reply. But my concern is i have two domain controller in same domain. One PDC server is in PST zone and another domain controller is in EST zone. My PST clients are getting sync with PST Primary domain controller. And my secondary domain controller exist in EST zone is getting sync with PDC server at PSt zone. Now there is new requirement that the EST client should get sync with secondary domain controller with their local time zone which is 3 hours ahead than PST time. They are asking me to setup my secondary DC as NTP server which should get sync with external NTP servers to get time sync for EST zone. Pls guid how to achive this.

As I already mentioned, when thinking about time sync using NTP, you should not care about time zone of the master and the slave. You can adjust the time zones the way you want but having a different time zone when comparing your master and slave is not a problem.

For time sync in an AD environment, I would recommend using the time sync topology I already described in my previous article.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Friday, March 13, 2015 10:50 AM
  • That depends on the timezone setting on the client. As Mr X said, the time it gets from NTP is in universal time. The client will convert that using its own zone and DST setting.

Which time server it gets the UTC time from makes no difference. They will be the same (and different from the local time on either server).

Bill

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:31 PM
  • I have already mentioned that in one of my previous replies: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/39b2e24e-be8a-415a-ae67-3511a43fcce2/group-policy-to-set-the-time-zone

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:56 PM

All replies

• NTP does not handle timezones. Time data that are managed by NTP are in UTC. Timezones need to be managed locally on your servers. You can achieve that as mentioned here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/39b2e24e-be8a-415a-ae67-3511a43fcce2/group-policy-to-set-the-time-zone

For time sync in AD environments, I would recommend that you refer to the Wiki I started here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18573.time-synchronization-in-active-directory-forests.aspx

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:40 PM
  • Thanks for reply. But my concern is i have two domain controller in same domain. One PDC server is in PST zone and another domain controller is in EST zone. My PST clients are getting sync with PST Primary domain controller. And my secondary domain controller exist in EST zone is getting sync with PDC server at PSt zone. Now there is new requirement that the EST client should get sync with secondary domain controller with their local time zone which is 3 hours ahead than PST time. They are asking me to setup my secondary DC as NTP server which should get sync with external NTP servers to get time sync for EST zone. Pls guid how to achive this.
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:56 PM

As I already mentioned, when thinking about time sync using NTP, you should not care about time zone of the master and the slave. You can adjust the time zones the way you want but having a different time zone when comparing your master and slave is not a problem.

For time sync in an AD environment, I would recommend using the time sync topology I already described in my previous article.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Friday, March 13, 2015 10:50 AM
  • All right, it means i don`t need to change or configure NTP server on secondary server. It can be continue to sync with Primary DC (NTP Server). Only need to change time zone on Secondary DC which is in EST zone. I hope this is the only thing which i need to change in my environment.
    Friday, March 13, 2015 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

I have done the configuration as per your suggestion. Now i have changes the timezone on my secondary DC server but client still synced with old time. How to fix that.

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:53 PM
  • That depends on the timezone setting on the client. As Mr X said, the time it gets from NTP is in universal time. The client will convert that using its own zone and DST setting.

Which time server it gets the UTC time from makes no difference. They will be the same (and different from the local time on either server).

Bill

• Can anyone please help?
  • Hi BIll,

Its OK. But here i am having NTP server is in PST location and my other domain controller and servers are in PST location Only. Now my EST DC server is getting IP from my PST primary domain controller which is running as NTP server. All clients on EST location has timesync for PST zone. Now our new requirement is to sync EST client with EST time zone so for that i have changed timezone locally on DC server so that whatever clients are connected with server, Should get new IPs.

Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:58 PM
  • Hi,

I have done the configuration as per your suggestion. Now i have changes the timezone on my secondary DC server but client still synced with old time. How to fix that.

What do mean by old time? Just make sure that your client have the correct time zone and that is all.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, March 16, 2015 11:06 PM
  • Old time means PST time. EST zone DC has local timezone as EST timezone. Now when i try to set time manually on EST client. They are still getting PST time. See the below logs:-

C:\Windows\system32>net time /set \\ESTdc01

Current time at \\ESTdc01 is 3/16/2015 4:15:47 PM

Local time (GMT-04:00) at \\ESTdc01 is 3/16/2015 7:15:47 PM

The current local clock is 3/16/2015 4:15:47 PM
    Do you want to set the local computer's time to match the
    time at \\ESTdc01? (Y/N) [Y]:

Monday, March 16, 2015 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

Pls help here to sync EST timezone time on EST site location. DC local time has been changed to EST, pls help how EST client would be sync with local timezone on ESDdc01.

Monday, March 16, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Pls someone help on this...
    Monday, March 16, 2015 11:51 PM
  • pls respond someone..
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

each and every clientmachine (workstations, servers, DC's, etc) individually is configured for a timezone.

You must confirm/check/change the timezone on each and every machine so that each and every machine individually knows the timezone it should be using.

Every machine will automatically contact the relevant DC to obtain UTC time, and each individual machine will then apply the locally configured timezone/offset.

NTP or in the case of AD, NT5DS, only sends UTC, and so each client must apply the configured offset.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:29 PM
  • Thanks DonPick for update. But in my environment i am having 200+ servers. Individual update would take so much time and manual efforts. Any way to update it through GP or script.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:41 PM
  • I have already mentioned that in one of my previous replies: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/39b2e24e-be8a-415a-ae67-3511a43fcce2/group-policy-to-set-the-time-zone

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:56 PM