Windows 10/7 Remote Desktop Printing Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if I have this in the wrong forum

I have a Windows 10 Laptop at home that I use to connect to my office PC using Remote Desktop Connection. The office PC is a Windows 7 Pro 64bit Computer. The connection is fantastic except the printing is a nightmare. This isn't a terminal server - Just a simple Remote Desktop Connection to the Office Win 7 PC.

On my home network I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8720. I have the latest drivers installed for it and I'm able to print perfectly from my laptop. I am not able to print to this local printer from within my Remote Desktop Connection. The printer just doesn't show up!

I have reinstalled the drivers on my laptop numerous times. I have also installed the drivers on the Office PC numerous times. I have of course selected 'Printers' from the Local Devices I want to use from the Local Resources tab. I have checked permissions of the printer on my Laptop and allowed the Everyone group every single checkbox possible.

In event viewer I keep getting Event ID: 1111 and when I read about it everyone recommends that 'Printer' should be disabled if you want that message to go away. I'm sure that only works when you actually don't have a local printer that you want to use. In my case I have a printer that I want to use.

I have also turned off my firewall and I am now completely out of ideas what to do next. Any help would be appreciated :)

• Edited by Bluebeep Monday, November 27, 2017 5:25 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the office PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise edition, you would have the ability to use RD Easy Print printer driver for your redirected printers, which works for most (not all) printers. Since you are running Windows 7 Pro on the office PC, you need to have a printer driver installed on the office PC with a driver name that exactly matches (including capitalization, spaces, etc.) the driver name used on the local PC.  If the printer driver name doesn't match you will see the Event ID 1111 entries and a redirected printer will not be created.

If for some reason you are unable to match the two driver names you may create a print driver mapping file and necessary registry entries on the office PC.  This file will allow you to choose which driver should be used.  Below article shows the registry entries that need to be created as well as the .inf file format:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775141(v=ws.10).aspx

In the .inf file, on one side of the equals sign you will put the precise printer driver name on your Windows 10 PC and on the other side the precise printer driver name on the Windows 7 PC.  That way, when you connect, it will know which driver it should use to create the redirected printer.

Please note you may need to experiment with different drivers.

Thanks.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Some printer driver installs only work if the printer is directly connected to the machine.  What I would suggest is you try downloading and installing the Basic driver for your OfficeJet 8720 for Windows 7 x64 from HP's site and try to install that instead.  I believe this is the download you want:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Basicx64_40.11.1148.exe

Now, if you can get the basic one to install under Windows 7, chances are the driver name will be different than your Windows 10 PC.  What you could do is install the Windows 10 Basic on your Windows 10 PC and use that for remote printing (assuming the driver name is same as Win7) or use the print driver mapping file that I described above.

If you want you could probably have two printers show up on your Windows 10 PC--one is the "full" version, and the other is the "basic" version, that will show up as a redirected printer when connecting to your office Windows 7 PC.

-TP

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Within the Remote Desktop session, open Devices and Printers, are there any redirected printers and fax present?

If no, run command below as administrator on the target system (Windows 7 in your case) to see whether printer redirection is disabled:

GPresult /h C:GPresult1.html

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:46 AM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates at the moment?

Best Regards,
    Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

Is further assistance required?

Best Regards,

Amy

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thanks for reaching out.

In the remote desktop there is a Fax redirected and One Note redirected.

I also noticed that each time I login to the remote desktop, the redirected number increases by 1. I'm not sure if it's related but I thought I'd mention it.

I have also tried logging in the remote desktop as Administrator with no luck.

• Edited by Bluebeep Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:00 AM more info added
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

If the office PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise edition, you would have the ability to use RD Easy Print printer driver for your redirected printers, which works for most (not all) printers. Since you are running Windows 7 Pro on the office PC, you need to have a printer driver installed on the office PC with a driver name that exactly matches (including capitalization, spaces, etc.) the driver name used on the local PC.  If the printer driver name doesn't match you will see the Event ID 1111 entries and a redirected printer will not be created.

If for some reason you are unable to match the two driver names you may create a print driver mapping file and necessary registry entries on the office PC.  This file will allow you to choose which driver should be used.  Below article shows the registry entries that need to be created as well as the .inf file format:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775141(v=ws.10).aspx

In the .inf file, on one side of the equals sign you will put the precise printer driver name on your Windows 10 PC and on the other side the precise printer driver name on the Windows 7 PC.  That way, when you connect, it will know which driver it should use to create the redirected printer.

Please note you may need to experiment with different drivers.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Thanks for the direction TP.

I did try installing the driver on the Office (Remote) PC but it asks me to select a port. I'm unsure what port to use for RDP. Sorry for the noob q but going thru the add remove printer wizard gives me the options for USB and Network. With the network option even if the printer isn't listed I don't have the option of adding this particular printer so thru the USB option I have to select a port.

If I use the drivers from the manufacturer I am able to install the basic drivers and select the method of connecting to the printer later which I have done but since I don't have a method of connecting I'm assuming that when the printer is mapped it would install the drivers and name the printer during the process of redirecting? Not sure how that works.

In the Office PC, when I get to the 'have disk' screen I see my printer listed there. So I'm quite sure the printer drivers have been installed (or at least are available for when the mapping occurs).

So maybe I'm just not using the right port?

• Edited by Bluebeep Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:42 AM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

Some printer driver installs only work if the printer is directly connected to the machine.  What I would suggest is you try downloading and installing the Basic driver for your OfficeJet 8720 for Windows 7 x64 from HP's site and try to install that instead.  I believe this is the download you want:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Basicx64_40.11.1148.exe

Now, if you can get the basic one to install under Windows 7, chances are the driver name will be different than your Windows 10 PC.  What you could do is install the Windows 10 Basic on your Windows 10 PC and use that for remote printing (assuming the driver name is same as Win7) or use the print driver mapping file that I described above.

If you want you could probably have two printers show up on your Windows 10 PC--one is the "full" version, and the other is the "basic" version, that will show up as a redirected printer when connecting to your office Windows 7 PC.

-TP

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:26 AM