none
Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure: "Login failure". RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I've been browsing around the Fourms with no real luck.  My user is running Office 2010 Pro, I beleive we use Exchange 2007.  Simply put, when I replaced her machine with a new Windows 7 machine the "Save & Send" (As Attachment) feature does not work on the new machine.  I attempted teh "fixmapi.exe" but I don't even think that did anything.

Lets see...

Windows 7SP1

MS Office Pro Plus v14.0.6029.1000

MS Word & Outlook 2010 v14.0.6112.5000

Please assist...

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to install Hotfix package test if it helps:

2597054   Description of the Word 2010 hotfix package (Word-x-none.msp, Kb2428677-x-none.msp): December 13, 2011

Assume that you have multiple Outlook profiles, and Outlook 2010 is not started. When you try to send a document as an attachment in Word 2010, the operation fails. Additionally, you receive the following error message:

Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure: "Login failure".

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Thank you.  I will install this Hotfix as soon as possible and return the results.  As for your assumptions, there is only one Outlook profile, and Outlook is running at the time.

Jayson

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:14 PM
  • I have installed the Hotfix while the user was out to lunch, but she was still logged on so I could not restart the machine to test the outcome.  She is in the middle of a project, and will restart and test the function when she is finished.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Sir,

I have installed the Hotfix, and the user has reported that there is no change.  Should I try to reinstall Office?

Thank you.

~Jayson

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your back. And please donot re-install 

I am currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Hi Jayson,

I have test in Word 2010 14.0.6112.5000(32-bit), before install Hotfix, I get the same error if Outlook does not running and select prompt for a profile to be used check box.(Start > Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles.)

It works in Outlook running with selected Always use this proflie check box.

The problem seems related Outlook profile, please try to create a new outlook profile test this issue

1. Start > Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles.
    2. Click Add button to create a new Outlook profile(For example: Test).
    3. After that, drop down Always use this profile, and select the new Outlook proile (Test).
    4. Start Word test Save & send as attachment.
      If the problem does not appear, the old profile may corrupted, you can configure the new Outlook profile.

Best Regards.

William Zhou

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Sir,

Thank you for your help with this matter.  I apologize I was slammed yesterday.  I will check this this morning, and report back with the results.

~Jayson

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Good morning.  The user was out sick yesterday, but I did log on as myself and the feature worked just fine, so it is her oulook profile most likely right?

~Jayson

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Hi Jayson,

Have you get the result if user using new Outlook profile?

You may also check windows updates in user computer, make sure all updates have been installed.
     Click start -> All program -> Windows updates -> Check for updates.

If the problem still persists, you can reset Word settings by run fix tool: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9785450

Best Regards.

William Zhou

Monday, July 23, 2012 2:12 AM
  • When I attempted to use another profile, it gave me the error:

The MAPI Spooler could not be started.  Close and the restart all mail-enabled applications.

MAPI 1.0 [000004C7]

Then I recieve:

Word couldn't sendmail because of MAPI failure: "Unspecified error".

I attempted the microsoft fix, but no luck.  When I created a new Outlook profile, it did nothing to help.  Why is it that when I am logged on I can preform this function, but when she is she cannot?  I know this tells me that it is not the Office Application, but something on her profile, but I just don't have a clue what.

~Jayson

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Well I used the Repair option of the CD, it corrected the issue at hand, but I still have no clue as to the reasoning. I don't like taking the easy way out, and my users get mad sometimes because I would rather troubleshoot an issue and find the cause vs preforming the reinstall, which for some reason every user I have believe that is the cure-all, which is most of the time.

Is there a point where you should just always take the easy way out? That is my bosses point of view, because of the fast pace world that is the option available to me, when do you substitute turn-around time for actually discovering the issue for future purposes?  How do we learn anything if we are to only take the easy way out?

Ok, sorry don’t mean to get off topic, but it’s just one of those things I ponder on…

William, thank you for all your trouble and time with this matter.

~Jayson

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Hi Jayson,

It seems more trouble about computer, maybe clean install Windows operating system and Office is a good/short way to figure this out.

I appreciate all your time and effort on this issue, and thank you for your understanding.

William Zhou

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:09 AM