Biztalk Server with SQL server 2016 compatibility issues RRS feed

• Question

• In my organization, currently, Biztalk 2010 with SQL 2008 R2 being used<o:p></o:p>

Now the problem is DBA group in the company planning to upgrade to SQL server 2016 across all the servers and I’m sure this will create problems to Biztalk server 2010 so my options / concerns are<o:p></o:p>

1. Upgrade to Biztalk 2013 R2 - Concern is, Microsoft never stated this would work with SQL 2016<o:p></o:p>

2. Upgrade to Biztalk 2016 - As per Microsoft road map, this will work with SQL server 2016 but no clear indication on release date

I know, i'm talking about something (Sql 2016, Biztalk 2016) which is not in the market yet.

your views are highly appreciated !!

Venkat Kundavaram

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:57 PM

Answers

• Tell the DBA's that the MessageBox SQL Server is part of BizTalk Server and should be administered only by the BizTalk team.  Basically, yes, it's a SQL Server but it's not their SQL Server.  This is not negotiable.

No current version of BizTalk Server supports SQL Server 2016.  There is no way around this.

BizTalk Server 2016 should ship within 6 months to fit the current Visual Studio/SQL Server wave.  When it arrives, stand-up you BizTalk 2016 platform (upgrades are not really recommended), migrate the apps, then decommission the BizTalk 2010 platform.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:27 PM
  • As John states no current BizTalk version supports SQL Server 2016. If you want to use SQL Server 2016 you have to wait for the next release of BizTalk Server. This is supposed to be released 6 months after the next OS release (we are currently looking at Q4 CY16).

Installing BizTalk Server 2013 R2 on SQL Server 2016 will not be supported by Microsoft as a standard nor recommended setup.

Best regards,

Tord G. Nordahl

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Venkat,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I would suggest to go with option #1 but I doubt it will support SQL Server 2016 because still don't have any official document from Microsoft. As this 'BizTalk 2013 R2' is the latest version of BT server so I would prefer this only. And for BizTalk 2016 still not specified the release date with supported OS and SQL Server.

It was discussed in BizTalk Summit 2015 in London that major version of BizTalk Server will be released in 2016, though no specific date was communicated.

There will be a new major version of BizTalk Server released in 2016 to align with and provide support for the new releases of Windows platform products such as the next version of Windows Server, SQL Server and Visual Studio.

You can read more at the link below:

BizTalk Summit 2015 in London Part 1 Microsofts Roadmap for Integration

http://blogs.biztalk360.com/biztalk-summit-2015-day-1-reca

latest version of BizTalk after 2013 R2 ?

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:14 PM
  • Tell the DBA's that the MessageBox SQL Server is part of BizTalk Server and should be administered only by the BizTalk team.  Basically, yes, it's a SQL Server but it's not their SQL Server.  This is not negotiable.

No current version of BizTalk Server supports SQL Server 2016.  There is no way around this.

BizTalk Server 2016 should ship within 6 months to fit the current Visual Studio/SQL Server wave.  When it arrives, stand-up you BizTalk 2016 platform (upgrades are not really recommended), migrate the apps, then decommission the BizTalk 2010 platform.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:27 PM
  • As John states no current BizTalk version supports SQL Server 2016. If you want to use SQL Server 2016 you have to wait for the next release of BizTalk Server. This is supposed to be released 6 months after the next OS release (we are currently looking at Q4 CY16).

Installing BizTalk Server 2013 R2 on SQL Server 2016 will not be supported by Microsoft as a standard nor recommended setup.

Best regards,

Tord G. Nordahl

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:03 AM