Trouble with Microsoft Edge in a domain network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Technet

We're experiencing problems under Windows 10 with the Microsoft Edge browser and computers which are a member of a domain network.

So far two computers (both DELL hardware, a notebook and a workstation) are affected. The behaviour is as follows:

You set up Windows 10, everything works like a charm. After joining the computer to a domain the problems begin. Microsoft Edge does either have no connection or it keeps on crashing with no response as soon as you type in any website and press enter.

Internet Explorer or other browsers work normally; without any problem. In the eventlog a DNS warning event is generated each time Edge goes in a no response state, so the problem is clearly related to the computer not being able to resolve a particular website, but why doesn't this happen to any other service/browser except Microsoft Edge, therefore it cannot possibly be an actual DNS service problem, on our DCs.

Eventlog entry information:

Source: DNS Client Events
    Event-ID: 1014
    Message: Name resolution for the name tumri.com timed out after the DNS server did not respond.

In both cases (notebook & workstation) it's that "tumri.com" webpage which cannot be resolved. As far as I understand tumri had to do smth with advertisement on webpages and was recently aquired by Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/news-room/pressreleases/201504/042915AdobeAdvancesProgrammaticAdvertising.html). Anyway, if you temporarily change the DNS address for instance to a Google DNS (8.8.8.8) - as suggested in many other posts found concerning similar problems - it works just fine, no troubles with Edge. As soon as the computer changes back to our DC DNS servers, the same problem starts to occur again ONLY in Microsoft Edge... As I have mentioned above we don't experience this problem on every Windows 10 computer which joined the domain. Does anybody know what the root cause of this strange problem is?

Any help would be much appreciated. If you require more troubleshooting information I'd be glad to provide them to you.

Kind regards,

Dario

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:40 PM

Answers

• Hello MeipoXu

Thanks for the update. I tripped over an article where it said one should try to deactivate WPAD (Proxy settings - automatically detect), it seems like this did the trick for me. I deactivated the setting on two affected machines and I've had no performance problems anymore.

I will keep monitoring the behaviour of Edge. In case I don't give any more feedback, the problem is solved. What remains unclear to me though however, is, why only a few machines are affected.

Cheers,

Dario

Friday, December 11, 2015 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi darioooo,

Here is a similar case for reference:
    Microsoft Edge: "Hmm, we can't reach this page" from workplace domain network, BUT works fine from home network.!
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a9de2a0c-71b0-4341-99e5-c60dd624b137/microsoft-edge-hmm-we-cant-reach-this-page-from-workplace-domain-network-but-works-fine-from?forum=win10itpronetworking

Please check the DNS Client service status and flush the DNS to have a check.

I have checked the Edge and the Internet Explorer packages. They didn`t create a DNS query, the DNS query is created by an un-known process. I suspect it may be related to the permissions, please log with a local account to have a check.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu

Thank you for your support. Sorry I forgot to mention that I have looked into this possible problem already. In my case, the DNS Client service was always running and flushing the DNS cache didn't help on any machine. I have a third pc now (not DELL manifactured) that has the same issue within Microsofts Edge. It's freshly setup from scratch. No member of the domain yet, just a normal standalone PC after installing Windows 10. I was logged in with a local user account and got the same behaviour and again the same DNS warning event.

I'd be really glad about any hint to solve this problem.

Kind regards,

Dario

Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Hi darioooo,

To troubleshoot this issue deeply, we could try to use the Network Monitor to capture the network packages to have an analysis. If you have troubles in analyzing the packages, please upload it to OneDrive and paste the link here. A problematic package and a normal one.

Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 (archive)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 7, 2015 2:43 AM
  • Hello MeipoXu

Thanks for the update. I tripped over an article where it said one should try to deactivate WPAD (Proxy settings - automatically detect), it seems like this did the trick for me. I deactivated the setting on two affected machines and I've had no performance problems anymore.

I will keep monitoring the behaviour of Edge. In case I don't give any more feedback, the problem is solved. What remains unclear to me though however, is, why only a few machines are affected.

Cheers,

Dario

Friday, December 11, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Hi

We had the same issue to he point it made the machine pretty much unusable. We updated the local hosts file to show 127.0.0.1 tumri.com. Resolving back to the local host seems to do the trick.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

I opened a Microsoft case for this same issue.

1) "tumri.com" will be removed in a future Adobe Flash update.

2) You can workaround the issue by using the HOSTS file trick (as mentioned), or writing your proxy ".pac" file to go 'DIRECT' for that domain.

You'll know if you're affected by this bug if you start a capture in NetMon, type in "DNS" in the filter, and then open the Edge browser. (Within a minute after launching, you'll begin to see many repeated requests to DNS for "tumri.com".)  Sometimes it can be triggered by clicking in the address bar 1 time.  You should only see this message 1 time (in the Application Log). But, you can make it fail again by logging off, and logging back on, repeating the above steps.

Good luck

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

Also have the same issue with that crapy tumri.com. It happens when you display the MSDN preferred content and the browser cache is cleared or oler than 15 minutes.

We successfully implemented following snipet in the proxy.pac (see example below).

Following rules must be observed in the proxy pac:

1) if you bypass plainhostname, put it at the very beginning. It will not cost a DNS request.

2) since tumri.com leads to a DNS time out, bypass it at the beginning as well.

3) do not call isInNet(hosts, ) direclty. Use a variable to store the result of dnsResolve(host). Because the browser is silly. Maybe it caches results for succesfully resolved entries but TUMRI.COM leads to time out. Then the browser will try to resolve it for each isInNet(hosts, ) call.

So the special TUMRI.COM exclusion for tumri.com workaround is not so elegant in your proxy.pac file but EDGE start page will be fast.

// Bypasse that may lead to name resolution time out if (dnsDomainIs(host,"tumri.com") || isPlainHostName(host)) { return "DIRECT"; }

// Cache the dnsResolve result

var resolved_ip = dnsResolve(host); if (isInNet(resolved_ip , "127.0.0.1", "255.255.255.255") || isInNet(resolved_ip , "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0") ||

Regards

• Edited by po3yejlb Friday, April 7, 2017 1:12 PM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 1:09 PM
  • po3yejlb,

Thank you for that additional info!

Curious, what is your proxy? Ours was BlueCoat appliances (problem could be reproduced).  We have switched to ZScaler (problem cannot be reproduced).

Friday, April 7, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi RpertusioH,

Sorry for late response, I don't know which product exactly it is but I assume it is based upon SQUID.

Since last week, the problem was fixed from itself. It looks like the Internet cleared the tumri.com name. So by now, if you PING TUMRI.COM, you will be instantly notified that the name doesn't exist.

Before, a ping tumri.com would have leaded to a time out (from inside or from ADSL).

I'm sure the problem is related to the client and not to the proxy. But, if DNS replies "not working" quicly you are not impacted. I don't know ZSCaler but if it provides a smart DNS and if this DNS will cache "timed out DNS replies", it will clear the problem as well.

Best regards,

• Edited by po3yejlb Monday, April 24, 2017 3:34 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 3:34 PM