none
The shadow copy of volume E: were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there, 

I am facing an issue regarding DPM 2010 backup. 

Every time my tape backup is being failed and the error is "The shadow copy of volume E: were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow" .

My protected server is an win 2008R2 File server which is getting backed up from DPM 2010 server. 

The total space of E: is 700 GB out of which 750 MB space is free. 

So i am quite confused how much space should be free in protected server drive for successful backup.

It would be great if someone could help me regarding this matter. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Ishuv

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Quite the opposite - it would be better to have shadow storage on separate drive. This is why DPM tries to make the replica and recovery point volumes on separate disks in the DPM Storage pool.  When VSS perform a copy-on-write, it does a read of original blocks, write old blocks to shadow storage volume, then writes new blocks to file.   The write blocks to shadow storage can be offloaded to another volume thus letting the original write through from the last read. This should reduce some seek operations on the original volume.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Ishuv Sunday, June 29, 2014 6:02 AM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 4:39 PM

All replies

• Minimum space required is 300 MB. Please refers to official blog. If still issue there, please paste error in detail with error codes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399755.aspx

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Hello, 

Though it is written that minimum space required is 300 MB but i still do have 700 MB free out of 759 GB in my protected server drive (E:).

The error detail is ;

Source: Volsnap

Event ID: 35

Error General: "The Shadow copies of volume E: were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow."

The backup server is DPM 2010 attached with IBM tape library which have LTO 5 cartridge.

Protected server is Win2k8R2 file server. 'E:' drive total space is 759 GB in which 700 MB is free.

So , as per my understanding from the error above is VSS is unable to grow because of limited free space in the specific E drive. In Drive (E:) there is only 700 MB space free. Now my question is how much free space should be there in the protected server drive to complete the backup successfully by the DPM 2010 server which is storing the backups in IBM LTO5 tape library.

Is there someone who had faced this issue. Please help!!

Regards,

Ishuv

Regards, Ishuv

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

You will either need to free up some disk space, take the backup at a time when there are NO changes to the files during backup, or change the ShadowStorage space to use a different drive that has more free space.   VSS has to maintain the snapshot by copying changed file blocks to the snapshot file for the duration of the backup.  The more file data that changes, the more space is required by VSS to maintain the snapshot.

You can change VSS ShadowStorage settings using the following command:

VSSADMIN ADD SHADOWSTORAGE /FOR=E: /ON=C:   (or any other drive with more free space)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Hello Mike, 

Thanks for your response, But what could be the pros and cons if we changed the drive for VSS shadow storage. Will it be slow to track the changed block by the server as it is on the different drive?

Regards, Ishuv

Monday, June 23, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Quite the opposite - it would be better to have shadow storage on separate drive. This is why DPM tries to make the replica and recovery point volumes on separate disks in the DPM Storage pool.  When VSS perform a copy-on-write, it does a read of original blocks, write old blocks to shadow storage volume, then writes new blocks to file.   The write blocks to shadow storage can be offloaded to another volume thus letting the original write through from the last read. This should reduce some seek operations on the original volume.  

• Marked as answer by Ishuv Sunday, June 29, 2014 6:02 AM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Mike.

Regards, Ishuv

Sunday, June 29, 2014 6:02 AM