none
User name change User information list

Question

• Client has sites in SharePoint 2010

A user has changed her last name, and the changed last name is not being reflected on the site.
    As a process i made a not of the groups in which the user was added (Ad group was added and she was within that AD group.)

Things done till now :-

1) Tried to get the name/account by accessing this link "<var class="sbody-var" style="box-sizing:border-box;font-family:'Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Helvetica Neue', 'BBAlpha Sans', 'S60 Sans', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;"><Site URL></var>/_layouts/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0" but was unable to find her with her old and or new name (was trying to delete her and add back ).

2) Checked and confirmed that the name was changed in the active directory.

3) Checked UPA and made sure that the Preferred name/display name is as per the changed active directory. (FYI Site is 2010 but consumes UPA from SharePoint 2013)

4) While adding her account on the site i am able to search with the new changed last name, however when i add her account it changes back to her old last name.

5) i am also able to search her with her previous last name.

Please suggest steps to address and solve this problem

Satyam

Monday, January 25, 2016 9:41 PM

Answers

• You can update User Information for that user by running the following PowerShell cmdlet. 

Set-SPUser –Identity "i:0#.w|domain\user" -SyncFromAD –Web "https://portal.contoso.com/sites/site"
    OR
    Set-SPUser –Identity "domain\user" -SyncFromAD –Web "https://portal.contoso.com/sites/site

First one always works for me.  You can use Get-SPUser to get the exact Login Name which is either in Claims or simply windows format.

Thanks,

Jerry Yasir - Office Server & Services MVP/MCT Hewlett Packard Enterprise If this reply helped you resolve your issue, please propose as answer.

• Marked as answer by Satyam Nityam Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:44 AM

All replies

• n SharePoint, on prem and online in O365, user information exists in two key places. The first is the User Information List on each site collection. This caches user information for people who've used a site so when you see the modified by field for a document SharePoint doesn't need to go get the display name for the user from AD.

The second is the User Profile Service, which imports a load of information from AD, as well as locally created data or other sources. That's primarily used for people search and profiles but another less obvious activity is to replicate any changes made to a user's data down to the Site Collection UILs.

That means that, in theory, user information changed in the UPS will flow down to the UILs in each site collection. In practice it doesn't always work that way, there's a fair bit of 'optimisation' in the process that can lead to profiles being identified as not needing updating.

There is a scheduled task that pushes the changes, make sure that Jim has opened the site and interacted with a document (edit, upload etc.) and wait an hour. I think it's the following timer job:

User Profile service application proxy - User Profile to SharePoint full synchronization

Your option of last resort, if you need it, is to delete the entry from the UIL, that's different to removing him from the Site Groups and Users as that doesn't touch the UIL. It will then regenerate when Jim logs in next.

This crops up on technet every month or so, have a solid search and you should find more advice/options.

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:04 PM
  • You can update User Information for that user by running the following PowerShell cmdlet. 

Set-SPUser –Identity "i:0#.w|domain\user" -SyncFromAD –Web "https://portal.contoso.com/sites/site"
    OR
    Set-SPUser –Identity "domain\user" -SyncFromAD –Web "https://portal.contoso.com/sites/site

First one always works for me.  You can use Get-SPUser to get the exact Login Name which is either in Claims or simply windows format.

Thanks,

Jerry Yasir - Office Server & Services MVP/MCT Hewlett Packard Enterprise If this reply helped you resolve your issue, please propose as answer.

• Marked as answer by Satyam Nityam Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:44 AM
  • Alex Thanks for explaining the two key places. 

The sitecollection has company related content, where the user has no edit permissions.

Thanks,
    Satyam.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Jerry,

As advised i have ran the get-spuser command, where i was able to see the user iinfo domain etc.
    I have used the second command which is as below

Set-SPUser Identity "domain\user" -SyncFromAD Web "https://portal.contoso.com/sites/site

The command has completed successfully, will check with the user and get back

Thanks,
    Satyam.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:55 PM
  • That may only be a bandaid. Can you run:

stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases 0

If any databases show a date of > 1 day old, run:

stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 0
    The next time the User Profile -> SharePoint full job runs, it should at that point update the UIL for each Site Collection.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:57 PM
  • you may be missing the info for other users too. please follow below article to resolve for all users and for all site collections.

https://donalconlon.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/sharepoint-user-information-list-is-not-being-updated/

Thanks, Vinod Please click Mark As Answer if this post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful,if it was useful

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Trevor,

The web-application is consuming the UPA from SP 2013, so the sync commands should be performed on SP 2013 environment...right ?

Satyam 

Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:58 PM