Event ID 46: Crash dump initialization failed! RRS feed

• Question

• This desktop has 8 GB RAM.

When windows driver verifier is used it create bsod and bug checks and then using win dbg the minidumps are debugged.

However at times there are problems.

In the eventvwr it will display:  Event ID 46:  Crash dump initialization failed!

How do you troubleshoot this specific error.

These are the settings that are in place:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
    Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter. 
    (In win 8 you can use the windows key "win" + "s")
    Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button.
    Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the drop down box (the 256kb varies).  If you are on win 10 use "automatic memory dmp"
    Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    OK your way out.
    Reboot if changes have been made.

No manual changes were made to the page files.

How come the automatic settings produce this error code:  Event ID 46:  Crash dump initialization failed!

How do you troubleshoot and fix this specific error?

How come crash dumps will produce mini dump or memory dump files and then there are some where crash dump initialization fails?

The debugging is easily done on the mini dump and memory dump files.

The help needed is on how to troubleshoot event ID 46 and fix it so that it no longer occurs.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 10:03 AM

All replies

• Open System Properties interface, move to Advanced tab, Under Startup and Recovery, select Settings. Check the option Write and event to the system log.

Besides, have you disabled the pagefile? Windows needs this file to create crash dumps if you get a bug check / BSOD, make sure a pagefile is used, and it has a proper size.

After above steps, restart computer to check again.

Event ID 46 logged when you start a computer

Symptoms

A computer that is running one of the operating systems mentioned in the “Applies to” section. The following event is logged in the System log during the boot:

Log Name: System

Source: volmgr

Date: <Date> <Time>

Event ID: 46

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: <Computer Name>

Description:

Crash dump initialization failed!

Cause

This issue may occur if the computer boots without a configured dump file. The default dump file is the pagefile. During a clean Windows OS installation, the very first boot will hit this condition as the pagefile has not been set up yet.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, you may want complete the paging file configuration.

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

kb969028 How to generate a kernel or a complete memory dump file in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Note: This event can be ignored if it is logged during a clean install or if no dump file is desired.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:54 AM
  • The system startup is very similar to what you have in the image.

The exception is write debugging information which is set to automatic.

This link was used for the initial settings:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d

At times the dump files are created during a bsod.

At other time they are not and in the event viewer it will display crash dump initialization failed!

To get the most out of using windows driver verifier you need to be able to debug mini dump files.  If they were not created then it's wasting time and no progress in troubleshooting is made.

If you switch computers and then run windows driver verifier there are no entries in the event viewer that crash dump initialization failed.

So I would like to get a better understanding as to why most computers will not have problems creating dump files and why a few may have crash dump initialization failed.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:35 AM
  • Please read my last reply completely, I have pasted the cause.

Cause

This issue may occur if the computer boots without a configured dump file. The default dump file is the pagefile. During a clean Windows OS installation, the very first boot will hit this condition as the pagefile has not been set up yet.

Windows needs this pagefile to create crash dumps if you get a bug check / BSOD, make sure a pagefile is used, and it has a proper size

And, I have provided my suggestions, you could try them to see if can fix this error.

check box "write an event to the system log" is checked; adjust page file size

In addition, for IT Pro as you, Microsoft Document is more suitable.

Blue Screen Data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/blue-screen-data

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:51 AM
  • The computer has a dump file as it already produced mini dump and memory dump files for debugging.  Sporadically it will bsod and not produce a mini dump file.  The event viewer will display ID 46 crash dump initialization failed.  This can happen in this pattern on multiple computers.

The bsod mini and memory dump are easy for me to debug with win dbg.  The problems occur when there are few dump files and I don't know how to troubleshoot so that each bsod produces a minidump with the error 46 crash dump initialization failed.

The page file has been left on default settings whether it is system in use, a system that has had a recent in place upgrade repair, or one with a clean install.  

So I don't understand why one computer may never have this error and another may have this error frequently.

How would you troubleshoot it?

For example if you want to workup a bsod and use driver verifier.  It would produce frequent bsod and there may be many crash dump initialization failed.  How would you troubleshoot so that the tool could produce more mini dump files rather than errors?

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:46 AM
  • hi there what option do i select for "write debugging information" if i am using server 2016
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Select Automatic memory dump.

If it is not available ten select kernel memory dump.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:30 PM