none
Deploying RDS 2012 R2 - ""Unable to install RD Web Access role service on server"

Question

• I spun up brand new 2012 R2 Core servers to be designated for a Connection broker, and one for Web access. 

2 other 2012 R2 servers (full GUI) to be designated for Session Hosts. 

From Server Manager on my Windows 8.1 system, logged in as my domain admin account, I am attempting to deploy standard RDS, assigning the roles in the wizard like normal, but after servers are selected and I click "deploy", it appears like it's in progress for a couple mins but then fails with the error:

"Unable to install RD Web Access role service on server "RDSWA01.cafenet.com". 

So the RD Connection Broker role service status for server RDSCB01.cafenet.com is "Failed", and RD Web Access role service status is "failed". 

my session hosts RDSSH01 and RDSSH02 are then shown "cancelled" by the wizard. 

I have no anti-virus running on the servers. 

My GPO for User Right Assignment for "Log on as service" has MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID added. 

I am not sure what to do here to get it going.... 

any help appreciated. 

• Edited by JGQ85 Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:51 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:45 PM

Answers

• I re-ran deployment and this time chose the Quick Deploy option (puts 3 roles on one server), selected one of the designated session host servers (2012 R2 GUI) and it appears to have succeeded.

So I'm wondering if the problem is with 2012 R2 CORE edition not supporting WA role...

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:40 PM

All replies

• From the collection broker I'm running the New-SessionDeployment cmdlet, it seems to be installing so far. Not sure if that's the right way to go at this point, though. 
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:00 PM
  • From the collection broker I'm running the New-SessionDeployment cmdlet, it seems to be installing so far. Not sure if that's the right way to go at this point, though. 
    After powershell attempt from connection broker it fails as well:
    "Unable to install RD Web Access role service on server RDSWA01.cafenet.com
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [], RDManagementException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : JobStateFailed
        + PSComputerName        : localhost
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:03 PM
  • I tried changing the WID service credentials on the Connection Broker to a domain account, started the service no issue, but it doesn't help the deployment -- same error    
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:27 PM
  • I re-ran deployment and this time chose the Quick Deploy option (puts 3 roles on one server), selected one of the designated session host servers (2012 R2 GUI) and it appears to have succeeded.

So I'm wondering if the problem is with 2012 R2 CORE edition not supporting WA role...

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:40 PM
  • It doesn't seem to be available on Windows 2016 Core?
    add-windowsfeature : ArgumentNotValid: The role, role service, or feature name is not valid: 'rds-web-access'. The name was not found.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Seems it's not part of 2016 server core? dammit.
    Friday, October 28, 2016 9:07 AM