none
PXE Boot Dell XPS 15 9560 with TB16 docking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to reinstall a Dell XPS 15 9560 with TB16 docking from SCCM. This seems to be a bit difficult.

I am running ConfigMgr 1606, and using WinPE 10.0.14393. Drivers added to the bootimage are "Realtek USB FE Family Controller version 10.13.1115.2016". 

The computer starts booting PXE, and sometimes I am able to choose task sequence, and sometimes not. I have checked from command line that I have network, and can show disk from DiskPart. I have tried several BIOS settings, and try to use UEFI boot, as well as legacy boot, and still the same result. For me it looks like it`s a network issue. I just installed a Lenovo client from the exact same location.

BIOS is updated to the newest version, and I have tried several network drivers. When I am able to choose Task Sequence it failes with this error: 0x80072EE7

When I check SMSTS.log this error appears:

cannot read acailable data with winhttp: 80072efe

Reply has no data end marker

Failed to request policy assignments (Code 0x80004005)

Failed to init policy from MP

Do anyone know why this is happening?

Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:29 AM

Answers

• Well.. I spoke to early, now the same error is back. The Task Sequence started, and formatted the disk one time, but stopped at USMT package. Now it just reboots before I can pick TS.

I did a strange thing just to test something. I started PXE boot, and this time I was able to pick TS. Before I went any further I switched to a Lenovo TB docking. And guess what?? It started working. It looks like this docking from Dell are having some issues with network.

I skipped using the docking, and used a TB --> Ethernet dongle

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:35 AM

All replies

• First you should check the smspxe.log on the server with the PSP role and see what it does when the client PXE boots.

You mention that you use a docking station. The symptom you describe sometimes occur when you use the same docking (or USB NIC) to install several computers. Since SCCM identifies the computer by MAC address (in this case the docking's) it doesn't know which computer is actually plugged into it and it will show you the deployments for the first computer it finds that is registered with the docking's MAC address.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Try Johan's first two tips from this blog:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/538/Building-the-perfect-ConfigMgr-boot-image

I just tried this, but unfortunately it is not working. Still the same error.
    • Edited by Whobe1337 Friday, May 19, 2017 10:38 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 9:52 AM
  • First you should check the smspxe.log on the server with the PSP role and see what it does when the client PXE boots.

You mention that you use a docking station. The symptom you describe sometimes occur when you use the same docking (or USB NIC) to install several computers. Since SCCM identifies the computer by MAC address (in this case the docking's) it doesn't know which computer is actually plugged into it and it will show you the deployments for the first computer it finds that is registered with the docking's MAC address.

There is a setting called "Pass Through MAC" or something. So if this is working correctly this should not be a problem.
    Friday, May 19, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Can you please share (on OneDrive, DropBox, etc) the complete SMSTS.log file?
    Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:04 AM
  • When you PXE boot, watch the DHCP screen and verify which MAC address it is using.  You can confirm if it's the pass-through MAC or one tied to the dock itself.

Secondly, add all the drivers from this CAB to your boot image (using the correct architecture). 

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/11530.winpe-10-driver-pack

Also, set BIOS setting fastboot to Thorough.  I think that's required for thunderbolt pre-boot support although I could be thinking of something else.

Saturday, May 20, 2017 6:05 PM
  • If you look at smspxe.log you will see which MAC-address the computer presents to the PXE-server. If you can verify that this is the computer's and not the docking's you are probably right, but smspxe.log is still the first place to look.
    Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:52 AM
  • I have verified that the onboard MAC is in fact the on used by the computer and not the MAC. I will try to get a hold of the whole smstslog. 

There must be something wrong with the network connectivity. I just did another go at this and I discovered something wierd. I started the PXE boot, and set up a ping -t towards my MP right before I picked the task sequence. Seconds after I pick task sequence CMD reports generic failure, and the clients are not able to ping the MP for a couple of secounds. The ping continue after the error code shows up.

I downloaded and extracted the WINPE10 driver.cab file, but when I try to import it there is only one driver showing in the driver add window.

Monday, May 22, 2017 7:28 AM
  • You should see a lot more drivers in that cab. My x86 extracted files has 6 subfolders under network and 7 under storage. 

Run this:  

get-filehash -path "c:\path-to-cab\WinPE10.0-Drivers-A04-942XJ.CAB"

in PowerShell to make sure the hash matches the ones shown here. If it doesn't, it's a bad download.  From time to time I get very flaky download speeds from Dell's site.

FYI, I was able to successfully deploy Windows 10 x64 to an XPS 15 9560 through a TB16 dock today so it IS possible.  For some reason it took two attempts (the first one failed and rebooted before I could catch any logs).  The second try completed successfully without making any changes. 

Good luck and let me know if you want any more specific BIOS settings or WinPE driver info.

• Marked as answer by Whobe1337 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Whobe1337 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:49 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Have you tried importing the WinPE 10 image using the Dell Command Configure WinPE Driver Library Import process as opposed to manually adding in drivers?. I haven't deployed the XPS 15, but I have a XPS 13 9350 which is similar and deploys fine using the Dell integrated generated boot image.
    • Marked as answer by Whobe1337 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Whobe1337 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:49 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 10:43 PM
  • I ended up using the "Dell Command | WinPE Driver Library Import tool". This added all the drivers from the WINPE10 driverpack. I was now able to start the task sequence, but it failed when trying to use the USMT package. It looks like the same issue, that the networkconnection drops.

A strange thing is that it took 3 attempts for it to work. The two first attempts the client just rebooted exactly like Cristopher described. In the image I have configured the script from Johan that delays the network.

• Edited by Whobe1337 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:46 AM
  • I modify a task sequence variable to increase the error dialog timeout to 3 days which is the maximum.  It was counting down from 72 hours and boom, the PC just rebooted before I could examine logs. I don't know if we'll ever figure that one out. Glad you got the WinPE drivers working. I never used the import tool. Maybe we'll check it out if/when we decide to upgrade ADK to 1703. We're still using WinPE 10 1507 (10240).

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Well.. I spoke to early, now the same error is back. The Task Sequence started, and formatted the disk one time, but stopped at USMT package. Now it just reboots before I can pick TS.

I did a strange thing just to test something. I started PXE boot, and this time I was able to pick TS. Before I went any further I switched to a Lenovo TB docking. And guess what?? It started working. It looks like this docking from Dell are having some issues with network.

I skipped using the docking, and used a TB --> Ethernet dongle

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:35 AM