none
Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to... RRS feed

• Question

• 1. I set up Vista Business on a freshly-formatted hard drive. I then joined my computer to a Windows Server 2003 (SP1) domain and gave my domain user account administrative privileges.

2. I then installed Office 2007 Enterprise Edition and transferred my files and settings from my old WinXPSP2 hard drive to the Vista system using the transfer wizard from the Vista DVD.

3. I then used the add printer wizard in Vista to install network printers all of which worked fine when I printed test pages. The domain installed XP drivers for the printers.

4. I then took my system home, resumed from hibernation, and used the add printer wizard to install a Canon ip 5200R inkjet printer using Vista's in-box printer driver and create a standard TCP-IP port for the printer. (The printer has a static IP address on my home non-domain network). When the icon for the local Canon printer appeared in the printers window, the icons for all the network printers disappeared.

5. When I returned to the office, I found that I was unable to use the add-printer wizard to add the network printers back to my system. The add printer wizard sees the network printers, but when I select a network printer I receive an error message with connect to printer at the top and the message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to the network."

Can somebody help me troubleshoot this?
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:57 PM

Answers

• I have a network with a PC (XP) with two local printers that I could print to from my Vista Business laptop either wirelessly or on the wire. 

I too experienced this problem after installing SP1 (which was a nightmare unto itself) on the laptop. 

This "fix" worked for me. 

1. Go into Control Panel
    2. Underneath the Hardware and Sound category, click on Printer
    3. Click on Add a printer from the top menu
    4. Click on Add a Local Printer
    5. Choose Create a New Port with type of port remaining Local Port, then click Next
    6. In the Port Name box type the path to the printer you wish to connect to and Click Ok
      Ex. \\mycomputer\myprinter
      If the computer you wish to connect to is named Bob and the printer is called HP then the path would be \\Bob\HP
    7. In the Install Printer Driver screen, select your printer from the list or choose Have Disk and find the location of the printer drivers on the computer then click Next and then click Finish.
    8. You should now see the printer installed in the Printers window.
    9. Right-click on the printer and click Properties
    10. On the General tab, click Print Test Page to test the printer.

You should now (hopefully) be able to printer from Windows Vista to this networked printer without any problems.

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• I may be having a similar problem.  I got one printer installed by means other than the wizard (because of some special security requirements), and now I can't gain access to any new network printer.  Instead I initially get an error saying it can't install the drivers, and subsequent attempts get the 0x000003eb error.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting exactly the same (error 0x000003eb) when trying to print to a printer connected to a Windows Xp machine.

The printer used to work fine, yet it seems that it has randomly stopped working and is producing this error when trying to print.

I am able to access the machine by typing in its path in the address bar \\machinename and can see the printer. The error occurs when I try to add it by choosing right-click Connect.

The printer is an HP LaserJet 1100, and the driver comes with Windows Vista, so why it has suddently stopped working is rather a mystery!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 9, 2007 10:53 AM
  • For now you have to enable UAC - the "User Account Control" feature built into VISTA, .. turn it back on and reboot. That will allow you to install printers again.

joseguia.com
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:33 PM
  • I put UAC on, rebooted and then off, cause this UAC thing is hell of a chrap, rebooted and then I could connect network printer with no problems . . didn't work before, only gave me error msg on not being able to connect to printer monitor or unknown printer monitor.

Where to send the bill Microsoft ;-)

ThorGis

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:19 PM
  • I have UAC currently on but I still cannot install the printer.

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:38 PM
  •  When I returned to the office, I found that I was unable to use the add-printer wizard to add the network printers back to my system. The add printer wizard sees the network printers, but when I select a network printer I receive an error message with connect to printer at the top and the message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to the network."

Can anybody help me with this

Jaco@inside-e.co.za

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:48 AM
  • Ran into this problem on a win2k3 sp2 print cluster...

The problem was that the cluster has multiple names: "cl001, ca001, dt001" and the printers had been installed using the ca001 name.

So even though I could see all of the printers on all of the names I would get this error when I attempted to install them.  However, when I used the name ca001 which was used to initially set up the printers things worked without issue.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:15 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I cannot connect to a HP LaserJet 4250 printer shared on a Windows XP workstation in a different domain.  I tried the UAC on and off.  By the way, who even thought of the idea of UAC? Couldn't they have developed a more genius way of handing it. Vista is starting to make me wish I ordered my new laptop with Windows XP Pro.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Not sure this will help; I looked up some of the suggestions on TechNet here, from a user called Melonhead and one other one.

I had the exact same message as you.

Here is how I solved it:

control panel

printers

add printer

add a local printer

under "Use an existing port:" I found my printer listed 3 ways (could be this cluster stuff)

I chose the one that had "(PrintServer Port)" in its name.

Now the printer works fine.

Robert

Saturday, September 1, 2007 9:41 PM
  • The suggestion from Robert above seemed to work for me.

First some background on my system setup.

It is a Dell PC running Windows Vista.

I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer.

I purchased a TrendNet  TE100-P1P parallel port print server (the HP laserjet does not have a USB output).

The Windows Vista PC and Print server are both attached to my in-home (wired) network on a switch (DES-1105 5-port switch).

Finally, I have an old Windows ME PC upstairs also attached to this network.

(One reason I added the printer as a network printer was that I was unable to print to the printer when it was attached to the Vista PC from the WIN ME PC).

Anyway ... back to the printer setup.

I was trying to setup the new printer using the Vista "Add a printer" wizard. I would select a network printer ... which this is, right ... it's on the network so it's a network printer. The printer wizard would see the printer and I'd select it. Then, I'd get the "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly...." error.

So, I saw in Robert's post above that he set up the printer using a LOCAL (instead of NETWORK) connection.

So - I tried it --- and that did it.

Here are the exact steps I used:

- Start - Control Panel - Printers
    - Add a printer
    - Add a local printer
    - Use an existing port
    - From the drop-down box, select "\\Laserjet_6P\P1 (client side rendering provider)"
    - Select (or install) your printer driver.
    - Give the printer a name.

Now, the "\\Laserjet_6P\P1" reference you see above is the "name" of this printer.

It is the "Server name" of the Print server (which I called "Laserjet_6P") and the "port" of the print server ("P1" by default).

By the way, setting it up on Win Me was a piece of cake! On Win ME I *did* set it up as a network printer going to \\Laserjet_6P\P1 - go figure!

Hope this help out anyone else with this issue.

-Bryan

Thursday, February 7, 2008 3:06 AM
  • When trying to add a printer which is a network printer.  I go to: Printers, Add Printer (and it searches and searches but does not see it), Then I click on "The printer I want isn't shown", and Browse and log onto the print server and select the printer I want but then when trying to connect I get the error message (0x000003eb).  Really not sure what to do. Am getting very upset.  The workstation giving me the error is Vista Home Premium as is the printer server.  The network printer is a Minolta.  Any suggestions would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:21 AM
  • Check that the driver is Vista compatible. I've had this issue and the solution was to replace the network version of the driver. Get the most up to date one you can find.

Friday, February 8, 2008 6:21 PM
  • One of my customers has just started experiencing this symptom. He has a Vista Home Premium laptop accessing shared printers on an XP Home PC. Everything worked fine: I set it all up for him and it has worked for several months.

Suddenly one day all the printer queues on the Vista PC disappeared and when he tried to Add Printer (Network) it failed with the dreaded "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected" message.

I have reproduced this. What I have established is:

- when Vista searches for shared printers, it lists all the ones that the XP PC is sharing

- when I try to connect to one of those printers or select "none of these" and fill in the \\pc\printer details manually, the error message occurs though without any subsidiary error number

- I can still connect an LPT port to the queue from the Command Prompt, using "net use lpt1: \\pc\printer" and then I can print to it using "dir > lpt1"

- the same thing happens if I try to acccess shared printers on another XP PC (so the fault is probably not with the original XP PC); unfortunately I don't have another Vista PC to try accessing the original XP PC's printers

UAC is enabled - I get all the Vista "are you sure" nagging messages.

Pepanado on 1 Sep 07 and Bene***96 on 7 Feb 08 suggested adding a local printer and choosing a port, but the suggested values in the Ports dropdown (PrintServerPort or something of the form \\pc\printer) do not exist - just the standard LPTn and USBn ports.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what has suddenly caused a working Vista PC to start failing? Any suggested cures? The "Windows cannot connect to the printer" message can't be found from a search on support.microsoft.com.

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Hey Tards, real easy fix.  Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features On or Off and make sure Printer Services>Internet Printing Service is checked and it will work.  Without this, you can't install a network printer with an http address.  Been following all of your suggestions and nothing worked, then I took a minute to actually read the error message and realized the problem.  Case closed.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Nice response there, KillJoy176.  Just because people are having an issue does not make them retarded.  Your "solution" isn't even valid... the problem persists regardless of the state of that Windows feature.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Not valid?  Surely after having this issue on 2 Vista machines and turning this one feature on fixes on both, there must be something "valid" about it.  Had the EXACT error message as this post reports and this fixed it.  Guess if it doesn't help you, then you are SOL Wink
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  KillJoy176 wrote:
    Not valid?  Surely after having this issue on 2 Vista machines and turning this one feature on fixes on both, there must be something "valid" about it.  Had the EXACT error message as this post reports and this fixed it.  Guess if it doesn't help you, then you are SOL

I think what Uconn was saying was that this fix, which evidently fixed your problem, isn't a fix for the problem that everyone else in this thread is having. There must be some subtle difference. Looks as if there are several problems which all provoke the same error message.

So back to square one again :-(  Shame that Microsoft only document the UAC solution and don't seem to mention fixes for any of the other causes.

In my case it's infuriating that originally it was trivially easy to set up printer access from Vista to a shared printer on XP, but something happened (a Windows update, perhaps?) which has now left things broken.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Hi

I have been having the same error messages as this thread is reporting. I have managed to fix it for me, but cannot say exactly why.

I have my printer attached to a computer running Vista 64 Home Premium, I also have another computer and a laptop running XP. I have had no problems setting up and using the printer networked with these machines.

Recently I purchased a Packard Bell notebook running vista home premium ( and other preinstalled stuff). After installing all the updates from PB and Vista. I also ran liveupdate on Norton Internet Security 2007 that came pre-installed on the notebook. After all this updating, I tried to set up The network printer, I installed the drivers locally and tested the printer locally, all is fine. Then I tryed to set up the printer over a network and this error message appeared. I set up the printer on the PB notebook exactly how I set up the other machines, so it leads me to believe the problem lies with the PB notebook.

Anyway, I use Avast on the other machines, so NIS2007 was the only thing I could think of that could prevent the networking stuff to stop working. I un-installed NIS2007 and installed AVAST on the PBnotebok.

The Notebook instantly connected to the printer, two test pages were printed.

The notebook was power cycled and another test print worked fine.

I since have printed several documents using several sofware packages without any more errors.

This leads me to think that there is some firewall or security issue somewhere that causes this error.

Sorry about the long winded explaination and the english grammer. I am not a techie person but I thought that it may be helpful

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hey ***:

People who are battling with these crappy Microsoft products don't need to be insulted by some doofus who assumes that the fix that works for him will fix everybody's problem.  For the record, my PC has the box checked, so that obviously isn't the solution to my problem.  Great logical leap for you to assume that since it worked for you twice, it must be the solution for everyone's situation.  Do us all a favor and stop giving us your expert advice.

Ron

Friday, October 17, 2008 4:10 AM
  • I know exactly when this problem developed......Vista upgraded itself to SP1.  this is DEFINITELY a Service Pack related problem.  it worked fine BEFORE SP1, even though I had to go thru the mickey mouse (sorry Walt) junk about net use in a command prompt window....geeze....

Michae
    Monday, October 20, 2008 5:34 AM
  • I tried everything suggested here, and nothing has worked for me. Yeah, anyone who has ***experience*** with MS OSs will not presume that single solution will work for all... the problem could be SP1 related as it worked before installation of SP1. I tried avoiding this but it looks like I might have to resort to uninstalling SP1. N.B. there might also be some software/hardware conflict, because previously SP1 did not cause this problem for my PCs. I will uninstall it and post reply here, whether it helped or not...
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:13 PM
  • I have a network with a PC (XP) with two local printers that I could print to from my Vista Business laptop either wirelessly or on the wire. 

I too experienced this problem after installing SP1 (which was a nightmare unto itself) on the laptop. 

This "fix" worked for me. 

1. Go into Control Panel
    2. Underneath the Hardware and Sound category, click on Printer
    3. Click on Add a printer from the top menu
    4. Click on Add a Local Printer
    5. Choose Create a New Port with type of port remaining Local Port, then click Next
    6. In the Port Name box type the path to the printer you wish to connect to and Click Ok
      Ex. \\mycomputer\myprinter
      If the computer you wish to connect to is named Bob and the printer is called HP then the path would be \\Bob\HP
    7. In the Install Printer Driver screen, select your printer from the list or choose Have Disk and find the location of the printer drivers on the computer then click Next and then click Finish.
    8. You should now see the printer installed in the Printers window.
    9. Right-click on the printer and click Properties
    10. On the General tab, click Print Test Page to test the printer.

You should now (hopefully) be able to printer from Windows Vista to this networked printer without any problems.

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:43 PM
  • To make a long story short, I ran into this problem after installing a "new" driver for my HP LaserJet 1320, HP's "Universal" driver, on an XP machine where the printer was located. After the install, I found my Vista PC "couldn't connect" to the networked XP printer. I went back to the XP machine and had it "automatically install" updated drivers (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/(find your printer)/Properties/Driver/Update Driver). Problem fixed.

For me, it seems the problem was the XP drivers and their consequent installation on Vista when trying to add a network printer. Don't know what version XP used or if there was a problem with the XP install I did, whether the "Universal" driver didn't have a Vista-compatible version or whatever.

One caveat - the printer is connected through a USB port named Dot4 or something similar. It was originally listed somewhere else in Device Manager before XP did the update; can't remember where. Afterwards it was listed under USB ports. There may be something about how the printer port was set up before XP did its thing.

Hope this helps someone. Seems this problem is one of those convoluted things that has something simple buried so deeply only a driver developer could figure it out.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:29 PM
  • You probably have a broken print monitor on the client that is trying to connect to the printer

I had this problem, and that's what it turned out to be.

(I used Process Explorer to discover the spooler service was trying to load a print monitor DLL for a print driver that no longer existed. The spooler was not initializing properly.)

Here's how to fix it:

- Uninstall all printers from the client machine

- Fire up regedit (standard registry editing disclaimer applies)
     - navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors
     - Look at the child keys of "Monitors":
          - Local Port, Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor,  Standard TCP/IP Port, USB Monitor, WSD Port are all defaults installed with windows.
          - DO NOT DELETE THEM! Delete any OTHER keys under "Monitors"

- restart the print spooler,  either by rebooting,  from Services MMC, or from admin cmd: "net stop spooler" "net start spooler"

You should now be able to access shared printers.
    • Proposed as answer by CoyoteDen Monday, December 22, 2008 1:37 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Thanks, I had tried all the other suggestions plus some of my own ideas, but with no luck. Your suggestion of adding a printer to a local port never crossed my mind, but it worked for me. Thanks again - I'll sleep better now!!
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Here is the fix:

http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/2009/11/connect-to-printer-error-windows-vista.html
    Clint Boessen MCSE, MCITP: Messaging
    Perth, Western Australia

Blog: http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Clint Boessen Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:39 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Thank you dorfs, your solution worked for me!

Microsoft: Doing something like adding a network printer in the XXI century should be a breeze, not a nightmare.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:34 PM
  • I tried absolutely everything posted here and unfortunately no luck.  I did fix it though and wanted to share what I did in case others are having the same frustration i was.  There must have been an old conflicting file producing the 0x000003eb error, I deleted everything under this directory c$\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\...  I then double clicked on the network printer and successfully installed the printer and its corresponding driver.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Works perfect for me, thanks Anonymus1980.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:16 AM
  • My solution was very simple and after working on computers for 27 years I know how quirky windows can be.  My mini network at home has 12 computers with 1 normal server (workstation that doesnt get used).  I have my raid and printers on my server and I turn it on when I need to print which isnt very often.

It has worked this way for ages.  All of a sudden... poof - the error mention above.  Could not install the printer via a variety of ways yet all my other pc's see the printer is online.   Vista even shows the printer is "Ready" and when I click on it.   Error.

I fiddled with it for about 10 min, came on here...  read all your posts.  Then decided... just reboot the computer while the server is on first.  Normally it doesnt matter if I boot up the server first or anytime I want to print (at least in the past anyways).

So... I rebooted my computer and the printer is already showing up installed and happy ready to be printed to just like in the past.  Weird thing... I havnt changed anything.

Quirky Windows Vista.  The most annoying OS on the planet.  Slow, bloated, quirky, and buggy.

Well, that fixed it for me.

• Proposed as answer by Roddya48 Monday, April 26, 2010 3:00 PM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:58 PM
  • I would like to mention I am using windows 7. Same thing my printer worked fine for months, then yesterday I wanted to print from my laptop and got the error everyone is talking about. Tried all the fixs in here with no luck. I have an HP Officejet 6210. What worked for me is I deleted all the printers and INF files for the printer. Disconnected my usb cable from my computer and rebooted both computers. After reboot I plugged the usb cable back into my server and Windows found it and set it up. I did notice that the printer name was a little differant it had SERIES 2 at the end of it never seen that before, anyway set it up to share and all is well.

Good Luck ALL

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Works so far.  We'll see when I reboot what happens.  i will try to remember to report if it stops working.  Thank Dorfs
    Monday, August 16, 2010 9:14 AM
  • Hey Tards, real easy fix.  Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features On or Off and make sure Printer Services>Internet Printing Service is checked and it will work.  Without this, you can't install a network printer with an http address.  Been following all of your suggestions and nothing worked, then I took a minute to actually read the error message and realized the problem.  Case closed.

No one in this thread has been using or complaining that IPP printing has been their issue. Unless you don't know the difference between a URL and UNC path? Thanks for playing.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:56 PM
  • I had a similar issue, but only with one print server under Windows 2008 SP1. 

I deleted the following key : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Providers\Servers\[print server name] and it solved my issue.  Branch got re-created at printer connection. 

If you have printer drivers that you cannot delete, you should also look at this branch.

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Great solution. Worked perfectly--I did have to download the latest Vista driver for my HP5180 AIO.

Thanks for "cutting through all the ____"

rc

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:42 PM
  •  When I returned to the office, I found that I was unable to use the add-printer wizard to add the network printers back to my system. The add printer wizard sees the network printers, but when I select a network printer I receive an error message with connect to printer at the top and the message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to the network."

Can anybody help me with this

Jaco@inside-e.co.za

I realize these posts are quite old, but I wanted to post a possible solution out there in case someone else stumbles upon this. I had the same issue that stormer69 had. Turned out it was the Equitrac print client that we were using. We had a 32bit equitrac client being pushed out in a login script. Once I uninstalled that, and put a 64 bit one on, it worked.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Hi

Windows 7 HP Hewlett Packard Laptop just stopped printing....

I have just finished applying the solution provided by Anonymous1980 ( [removal/cut n' paste!] contents of C:\windows\system32\spool\Folder for O/s {this case x64} to temp directory reboot to complete the remove,install, test

And the Local port trick to work around the sharepoint /drivers version problem

Then Create local port as network port then add printer locally, then switch local printer on to network port,  that worked.

The fault was Error 0x000003EB when trying to install a printer, USB or network device

The symptoms where, things tried

1) Printer detected across the network identified (ie it could read the CMOS/BIOS/ID Chip

2) Installed the driver No errors

3) Print Manager fine opens display all the tabs , all the controls, all the settings, all there! (Look, see printer driver is installed!)

4) Unable to print test page

5) Unable to print from application gives 'No printer installed'

6) No spool file seen to appear in Print manger window, ie no job, not rendered, no nothing

Tried

1) Restore

1) Driver un-install, reboot reinstall

2) Driver Scrubber

3) Registry hacks /checks to see if the printer had been installed

4) Proved printer was working by print from another laptop across network.

5) Took out Norton 360

6) Repair driver

7) Add device (HP AIO software)

8) Setup wireless printer install using the software

9) Setup wireless printer using Windows 7 (a real charm to use)

The future pouring through the pinch of the present, to become the past.

Post the all solution, the symptom, not the moans, the insults

• Edited by Hai_Ku2000 Monday, June 25, 2012 1:48 PM missing info
    Monday, June 25, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Follow this step 

Press Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialogue box will open.

Type services.msc in the run box and click OK button.

In the Name list, locate and double-click on service Print Spooler.

Click the Start button to start the service again.

Click OK button.

If anyone face printer issue clicks here 

https://www.printererrorrepair.com/blog/how-to-fix-epson-printer-error-code-0xf1/

• Edited by ethan365 Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:20 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2018 9:19 AM