none
Two PXE enabled Windows 10 DPs in same VLAN RRS feed

• Question

• We need to build 100 machines daily using SCCM OSD. We cant have server class PXE DPs.

If we have we two PXE enabled DPs in the same VLAN where the build bench is, can we direct 10 clients to boot from one PXE DP and rest 10 to another PXE DP simultaneously?

Is there any other way to optimize the number of machines we can build? Please help.

Friday, November 22, 2019 3:36 PM

All replies

• You can have any number of SCCM PXE servers. They naturally load balance among them.

Sunday, November 24, 2019 10:39 PM
  • Thank you Kerwin, Is there a way to restrict machines to contact a particular PXE DP? Also can I use multicast on Windows 10 DP?
    Sunday, November 24, 2019 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

==>Is there a way to restrict machines to contact a particular PXE DP? 
    No. When there are multiple PXE DPs, the client randomly starts with one of them. And they naturally load balance among them as Kerwin mentioned.

==>Also can I use multicast on Windows 10 DP?
    No. If you need multicast, you need to stick with Windows Deployment Service (WDS). WDS is included as a Server Role in Windows server OS and can't install in Windows client OS. Starting with SCCM 1806, you can enable PXE responder to support PXE-enabled distribution point on Windows 10 client, however, Multicast options are disabled.

Here is a helpful non-Microsoft article, just for your reference: 
    Enable PXE Responder Without WDS (Windows Deployment Service)

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:00 AM
  • Thank you Simon, Can I use PXE Exclusion List as mentioned in the below link?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/osd/deploy-use/use-pxe-to-deploy-windows-over-the-network#BKMK_PXEExclusionList

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Hi 3M3M3M,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid that we can't use the PXE Exclusion List restrict machines to contact a particular PXE DP. At the starting of PXE boot, the client randomly picks up a PXE DP without regard to the PXE Exclusion List. If it picks up the PXE DP that contains it in the PXE Exclusion List, the PXE boot will fail immediately due to the boot mechanism, it will not fall back to the other PXE DP.

Here is a workaround to restrict machines to contact a particular PXE DP for your reference: 
    From network layer, we can prevent one DP from responding to the client, then the client will auto pick up the other available DP due to DP fall back mechanism. So please try to configure the Firewall on the one DP to block 10 clients and on the other DP to block rest 10 clients. 

Hope my answer could help you. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if there is any update. We haven’t heard from you for a few days and would like to know the current status of the problem. Is the problem solved? Do you need any further assistance? Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon 

Friday, November 29, 2019 2:05 AM