none
Network print drivers not updating RRS feed

• Question

• Printer drivers are not updating on the client computers after installing printer drivers on a Win 2008 R2-based print server in a clustered environment.  Server is 64 bit and client computers are a mix of Win 7 Pro 32 and 64bit.  I am now connecting directly for a small group of admin staff via IP printing but have multiple lab environments and must deploy printing solutions via GPO and network printing. Would installing drivers locally on workstations work in the meantime?
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• Use drivers from printer vendor. When you met problems, addres it to vendors support/forum. This may be specific to the printer model you have.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Printer drivers are not updating on the client computers after installing printer drivers on a Win 2008 R2-based print server in a clustered environment.  Server is 64 bit and client computers are a mix of Win 7 Pro 32 and 64bit.  I am now connecting directly for a small group of admin staff via IP printing but have multiple lab environments and must deploy printing solutions via GPO and network printing. Would installing drivers locally on workstations work in the meantime?

Which is actually failing, the GPO application or driver updates? Are you not using the Windows Print Server to hold the drivers?

Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:29 PM
  • The printer is installed on the server and shared.

Test printing from the server works fine.

I can add the printer from the client workstation.

When I send a print job to the printer from the client workstation, the job times out and doesn't print.

I won't create a GPO for the network printer until it works from the client workstation.

Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Hi,

Different computer need different driver. If your client computer were identical, you could push the proper driver for them. Otherwise you need let every computer install manually. Server driver is not applied to Windows Client.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:34 AM