none
Microsoft Edge Browser and SSL Certificates RRS feed

• Question

• In IE, you could click on the padlock icon in the URL bar and then click view certificates to actually see the certificate details. Is there a way to view certificates in the Edge browser? I can click on the padlock and see some information, but I don't see a way to view the actual certificate.
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

So far, there is no way to view the certificates in the Microsoft Edge browser.

However, you could access the same website in the Internet Explorer to view the actual certificates. Or from the Microsoft Edge, you could view the issued by root certificates, like *****root has identified this site.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 28, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Yes, it's finally here in the Windows 10 17134, 1803 update!

• Marked as answer by Tboggs13 Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

So far, there is no way to view the certificates in the Microsoft Edge browser.

However, you could access the same website in the Internet Explorer to view the actual certificates. Or from the Microsoft Edge, you could view the issued by root certificates, like *****root has identified this site.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 28, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Its been almost a year since this post, still no support for extensions and no way to view a cert?
    Where is this browser going?  I try using it off an on for work and day time hit a roadblock with something or another.  Edge is just another way to drive people away from IE?

I guess I'll just use it for watching movies or fussing around on Facebook, because I cannot get any work done in it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:47 PM
  • Right, I would like to see certificates too.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:53 PM
  • I think it's pretty save to say that the Edge Browser has failed :( I also want to be able to see server certificates and add extensions. I guess it's back to chrome for me

I hope that in time you can fix Microsoft Edge I was looking forward to using it too.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:44 AM
  • In Internet Explorer, you could click on the HTTPS padlock in the address bar and click 'View Certificates', or right-click on the web page and go to Properties > Certificates. How can you view the SSL/TLS Certificate in Microsoft Edge, without switching back to Internet Explorer?

promocodesoffice.com/microsoft-windows-10-promo-code-coupons

• Edited by matthewcrim Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:34 AM
  • I rarely had to laugh so hard as when I installed Win 10 and tried "the new awesome" Edge for the corporate portal I use for work to find out that it in fact DOES NOT support certificates. Thankfully the IE was left intact in Win 10 for people like me.

The decision making process at MS keeps me both astounded and amused to say the least ;)

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:56 PM
  • This option is probably considered to be to complicated for most users, Microsoft is aiming at the sheep, simpel and stylish, functionality is apparently not important to most people. Apple does similar things and they make a nice heap of money doing so.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:12 AM
  • The fact is, 99% of people would probably never use this functionality. However, the 1% that do are IT folks that use it on a regular basis as part of their Job. If MS were to remove IE, it would force IT users to turn to Firefox and Chrome just for this functionality. In reality it won't be many people, but it will be decision makers and influencers.

MS has made progress with Edge in the past year, but it has been slow. There is much left for them to do to reach feature parity with IE, let alone Chrome and Firefox. The certificate inspection probably isn't that high on the list.

Overall I like Edge. The changes they have made to date allow me to use it as my default. I only wish they would put it on a monthly feature update cycle instead of tying it to Windows releases.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Microsoft seems to be pushing people away. Viewing certificates is a basic thing. especially since AV software now installs certs, and then sometimes they get hacked, thus providing pathways for man in the middle attacks. It is insulting that in todays secure couscous environment we can't simply click on something to easily see the actual cert to verify no mitm attacks! It is quite easy to show someone who might care to make sure the name on the cert is the same as the website.

I like the windows 10 platform better than 8, but for desktop productivity Microsoft peaked at 7.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:48 PM
  • I work for schools and had a (paranoid) parent express concerns about a web site used by students because it is using a wildcard SSL certificate. I went to Edge first and found that I could NOT view the certificate itself ... just as reported above. In fact, Edge reports that the CA "has identified the site as" and the URL of the site, when the SSL certificate (viewed in a different browser) is, in fact, *.URL and NOT the full URL reported by Edge as being identified! Not good, MS, not good.

See for yourself ... https://app.seesaw.me/#/login

I more concerned by this, than simply unimpressed.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Same problem here. I'd like to embrace the Edge browser but need to view cert details frequently.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Agreed. It's hard to believe they don't at least include an option in their developer tools.
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:47 PM
  • to include in their developer tools seems to be a good way to view certificate details for insiders. But I think it would be very useful to offer the certificate information in the way as the other browsers, because folks mostly take used Paths to find information. Also the assumption, that only high educated people want to have this information should be researched, because I think that this is not the case. On the other hand for me it is only important to see the certificate when I use the browser for online banking. But if I need to go to an other browser to do that, why shouldn't stay there?

I searched the certificate because I am enrolled on edx's MicroProgram CyberSecurity!

• Edited by Happy999 Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by jrod1299 Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jrod1299 Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:13 PM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:38 AM
  • Perhaps you already found a solution, but this is what I did to clear the multiple certificates:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Search for User Certificates
    3. Opened Certificate Manager
    4. Opened the object type Personal >> Certificates
    5. Deleted all certificates i did not want
    6. Closed Cert Manager and Control Panel
    7. Re-opened Edge

that worked for me....I hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:15 PM
  • This is a joke.

Ratko Stibric

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:01 AM
  • We use five browsers in our environment, and Edge is the only one that doesn't support this functionality.  This is dumbfounding.  It's like Microsoft doesn't actually want enterprises to use Edge.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:57 PM
  • I 100% agree. This is unacceptable. This is essential functionality for web developers and anyone who wants to see if they are subject to any "man-in-the-middle" shenanigans. So even if someone wanted to prioritize Edge development, you will be forced to use another browser in order to troubleshoot SSL stuff. That is laughable. If Microsoft wants more people to use Edge, they should start by getting rid of stuff like this that gives you no choice but to use something else instead. 

This wasn't the first time this question was asked, and this is over 2 years old at this point...come on...
    Friday, December 1, 2017 12:01 AM
  • Me too. Absurd. I have to load a different browser to check this out. 
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:12 PM
  • What is the update on this Microsoft? If there is no way to view certificates in Edge then we simple WILL NOT use edge in our environment. Edge has proven to be a really bad browser. They claim security and provide no methods to verify the security. These are extremely basic features of any browser.
    Friday, April 27, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Since the last Win 10 fall creator I now prefer Edge over the other browsers. It's also a very good capable browser on Android and IOS. Regarding the details of the SSL I knew this is something that is coming and I remember that I saw an article on it a while back. after a bit of research I managed to find it. https://windowsunited.de/microsoft-edge-zeigt-nun-endlich-webseiten-zertifikate-einfach-an/

• Edited by Geekier3001 Sunday, April 29, 2018 10:34 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2018 10:24 AM
  • Yes, it's finally here in the Windows 10 17134, 1803 update!

• Marked as answer by Tboggs13 Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:46 PM
  • Finally. Now I just have to upgrade the operating system.

It's been 976 days since this thread was started to add a feature that was already standard on every browser at the time. I realize this is more of an IT request, but it is something I use frequently.

I also think this shows that Edge should be decoupled from the OS. Why can't new features be introduced every month?

• Edited by Tboggs13 Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:34 PM