none
Hypervisor startup in Windows to Go RRS feed

• Question

•  With Windows 8 Enterprise installed on an Intel I7-3770, Windows to Go successfully provisions to a Western Digital My Passport Enterprise with no issues and after installion, the Hyper-V Hypervisor also starts and functions.  When connecting the removable drive to an AMD A8-3850 chipset with all hardware Virtualisation options enabled and Microsoft and AMD documentation indicates that Windows 8-level virtualization is possible on this hardware.   Windows to Go starts and every important hardware component on the system is detected, the only issue being that the Hypervisor will not start.   I can find nothing in any log clearly disclosing the reason.  

Perhaps there is something of abstraction in the boot config tha is preventing it.  Understand that an Intel platform loads the Hvix64.exe vice the Hvax64.exe for AMD-V... It would seem that the Hypervisor would need to be able to dynamically pick the appropriate runtime during boot.   Unclear whether these both are installed during installation of Hyper-V or whether the Hypervisor is capable of managing this level of abstraction or not. 

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:58 AM

Answers

All replies